Chapter 18: The Violence Made My Head Hurt

Location: the Bunker     

Williams

He woke up in a sterilized white room, lying on a gurney. Again.

“I need to cut down on the violence,” he muttered.

“What was that, Mr Williams?”

A man entered the room, wearing a lab coat. He was short, about five feet. He wore glasses and had a three-day stubble on his cheeks and chin. His black hair went down to his shoulders, and was messy. Judging by the dark rings around his eyes, he hadn’t slept for a while. Something about this man made him feel happy, but he wasn’t sure what.

“Nothing. How do you know my name?” Williams asked, confused.

“Your friend and your son, unlike you, are conscious. I know where you came from, and what happened on the way here. I’m sorry for your loss.”

Williams remembered that Johnny was dead. His memory was a bit hazy.

“However, the prototype you brought us is the most valuable thing a visitor has ever brought with them.”

Williams pulled the USB from his pocket. “We got this from the lab, along with the cure. It’s incomplete; we only had time for one computer.”

The man raised his eyebrows. “Lab?” he repeated.

“There’s a CSV lab in the desert. It’s mostly destroyed now, though.”

The man nodded thoughtfully. “Interesting... Welcome to the Bunker, Mr

Williams. I’m Doctor Kelly, but you can call me Richard, Rich, Dick, whatever you prefer.”

Williams stood up. “Where are Cal and Jake?” he asked, wondering why anyone would want to be called ‘Dick’.

“Jake is your son, right?” the doctor asked. “He’s at the training centre, learning to shoot. Paul Simon, our military leader, noticed he was very good at using a revolver.”

“He learned quickly,” Williams recalled, remembering the night on the highway.

“Cal is settling in, but he hasn’t been seen since he was taken to his room.”

“OK. How did I get here?”

“One of our soldiers got you pretty good with a rifle stock, you have a concussion.”

“That explains the headache.”

“Come on, I’ll take you to a room.”

As they walked through the hallways, Dr Kelly explained what he did at the Bunker.

“I’m the chief medical scientist. I do most of the surgery, but thanks to your prototype I can now get back to work on a cure.”

“You’ve tried before?”

“Yes, but I couldn’t get much further than the drawing board.”

They turned into a small room, similar to the kind Williams had often stayed in during his time in the Marines.

“I trust this will be comfortable?”

“Yes, doc. This’ll be just fine.”