Chapter 14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN 

"Yeah, but getting beat up by some random girl isn't really doing much for my self-esteem." 

***

Consciousness was fragile. 

I didn't realize it before now. How your mind could shut down at the smallest hit; leaving your entire body exposed and vulnerable to the world. I didn't like that, I think that we should be able to defend ourselves until we die, not have to succumb to the mysterious relm of unconsciousness, it was unfair. 

The first time I opened my eyes, Monty was standing above me, placing his hands on my stomach and applying so much pressure it was painful. 

 "Nate! Clarke will be here soon, you just need to-"

 I didn't hear the rest, because I lost my consciousness. 

This happened a few times, I would wake up for a few seconds, then conk out again. After what felt like days, I could finally hold onto my sight, which may be a good thing, may be a bad thing. 

 Clarke's face floated into vision, which made relief surge through my veins. A doctor, that's a good sign, right? 

 But the expression on Clarke's face made me think otherwise. 

 "Thank God you're awake," she rushed over to my side, kneeling down on the cold, steel floor of the Drop Ship. "The blade in Finn was poisoned. We think that might be why you were out for so long. I stitched up the wound, but I think you have a minor concussion, which could add to the symptoms." 

 She placed a hand on my bare stomach, her eyebrows furrowing, she began talking to herself, but I didn't care, it was a good distraction from the fact that I might be poisoned. I don't think that thought really registered, because I wasn't scared, I was just... tired. 

"You have a fever, but it isn't as bad as Finn's... okay, describe the sword this girl had." 

 I winced, shifting slightly so I could prop myself up on my elbows, Clarke immediately pushed me back down. "Don't strain yourself."  

"It was big." When I spoke, my voice was hoarse, and sounded like I just drank sand or some shit like that. "And, uh... pointy." 

 "Who had it?" 

 I was pretty sure I blushed when I spoke next, "uh, a, a girl-" 

 Clarke blinked. "Are you embarrassed that you got beat up by a girl?"