Scarlett's Long lost Father

• Dedicated to Lindsey June Yeager

“Josiah?” Lizzie shouted, blocking her eyes from the sun, as a figure came towards her house on horseback. The figure hopped off the horse, while it was still in the road, grabbed the reins, and started pulling them towards the house. At the same time, the figure squashed the dark colored hat down more firmly on her head.

“Izzie!” The hat and dark coat were Josiah’s, but the blond hair and wide smile were unmistakeably Izzie’s now that she was striding towards the house and tying her horse.

Lizzie ran out to the yard, and Izzie threw her arms around her. Lately Izzie had blossomed from the slight girl and was now a broad and healthy woman. They clasped each other joyfully and tightly. It had been a long time since their last visit!

“Come up to the porch, Izzie, and let me get you some lemonade,” Lizzie said, dragging her by one hand towards the steps.

“Sure, but I’ve got to get Honeyapple her drink first.” Quickly, Izzie filled the pail with water and sat it down for her horse to drink.

“I’ll be right back, Izzie.” Lizzie hurried to get some lemonade from the kitchen. Patsy nodded at her. “Izzie.” Lizzie informed her quickly, practically running back to the porch with the drinks.

Izzie sat on a rocker, propping her legs up in an unladylike manner that Lizzie admired, yet found horrifyingly crass at the same time. She couldn’t believe now what Josiah had said about Izzie considering a marriage proposal, but she could easily believe that Izzie could take care of herself now.

“So, how are you, Izzie?”

“I’m fine, Lizzie. Just wanted to let you know we set the date for Josiah an’ Mindy’s marriage. They’re gonna tie the knot first Monday in April, Lizzie.”

“I thought it was coming up sooner.” Lizzie didn’t quite know why she was so eager for Joe to be married. Maybe because he had waited so long already, and she felt anxious that things might fall through. She wanted him married off, so she could be happy for him, and stop wondering “what if?”. When he was safely married to someone else, maybe she could relax and come and visit them sometimes, without thinking about what might have been, and stirring things up which just made them both sad. Visiting them as a couple would be much safer and less awkward.

“Mindy wanted to wait ‘til Spring. It’ll be pretty then, and besides, she ken keep Joe at home ‘til then. You know he plans on leaving for the War as soon as he ken marry Mindy an’ spend a week or two with her afterwards.”

“He said he might go.” Lizzie said sadly. She didn’t like to think of one of her oldest friends getting shot at. What if he died? And even if he lived, how long would he be gone? What would she do if she were in need of help? Who would she turn to?

“He’ll be back, though. I know it.” Izzie said. She had every faith that her big brother would come back to her and Mindy and CiCi.

“I’ll pray for him, Izzie.” Lizzie said. She hoped her prayers would be sufficient; She just had to believe.

“He’ll be back, Lizzie. I just know it.” Izzie said, determined.

“How do you know, Izzie?”

“I don’t know, Lizzie. Sometimes I just know things. I don’t know how I know, but I know that I know, Lizzie. Don’t you ever feel that way about anything?” Izzie asked surprised.

“Well, sometimes, Izzie…” Lizzie considered, “I don’t think I’m really sure, but sometimes I think I know things, and sometimes I’m not sure that I do, but later on they turn out to be true. And then I wish I’d believed more, and realized that I actually did know. I just didn’t want to know, or it didn’t seem logical, or right, maybe. Sometimes I just thought I was making things up. But later on I realized I wasn’t. Like I knew the day Michael died that I should have a ball and invite everyone, but I thought I was being selfish to have a party when he was running for his life. If I had listened to myself I might have saved Michael… and Josiah, and Derrick, too.”