Phoenix Rising New Hope for the Old South

Hi dear readers, this is the final chapter of "Ruin and Redemption". Thank you so much for sticking with it to the end. There will be some discussion questions at the end of the book, should you wish to discuss with your book club or reading group. Also, if there are loose ends that you feel need to be tied up, or chapters/subjects you would like to see covered earlier in the story, I am up for your suggestions, although I may not be able to use all of them. The earlier you make your suggestions, the better, as I would like to conclude "Ruin and Redemption" this Summer.  

“No, Derrick! Not like that!” Derrick was bent down helping Scarlett slip on her new stockings. One of her legs was propped up on the embroidered cushion of her chair, a cushion she had stitched herself with a bit of help getting started from Lizzie.

They had been lucky to have a bit left over after the crops had made their way to market this year. Things had died down considerably since Lizzie, Izzie and Derrick had killed a few and beat up the remaining headless men at their bonfire.

It might also have helped that Lizzie had broken into the window of her in-laws house and threatened to kidnap her father-in-law and hold him for ransom if he didn’t stop suggesting herself and Derrick as people to victimize.

“Like what, Scarlett? Isn’t this the way you put it on?” Derrick asked impatiently.

“They don’t go on as easy as they come off, Derrick! You have to be careful not to tear them. That’s only my second pair, and they gotta last, at least beyond a month!”

“Sorry, I didn’t realize.”

“Here, let me do it. I thought it would be romantic, but you ain’t got no practice dressin’ women ‘parently. All you know how to do is get them undressed. And I guess it ain’t the same.”

“Well, I have had a bit more practice with that, but not so much lately,” Derrick admitted.

“Well, what do you expect…all the young girls gonna still sleep with you like their mamas did? They ain’t slaves no more. They ain’t gonna get no extra ration for letting you have your way with ‘em. An’ some of ‘em you be lookin’ at might be your daughters for all you know.”

“Yes, I, well some are. I’ve been trying to keep track.”

“Esme made sure of that. Thank God! Otherwise, who knows but you might be sleeping with one of ‘em, without even knowing it!”

“I’m trying to do better, Scarlett. I mainly stick to you, and Lizzie… when she’ll have me.”

“I hope she don’t go back to sleepin’ with you full force, Derrick. She ain’t near as crazy lately since she put you on the back burner.”

“She ain’t put me on the back burner, Scarlett! Excuse me, but she hasn’t. She just likes to do things a little bit differently now that she has herself convinced she’s the husband. She doesn’t just come into my arms anymore. I have to let her initiate everything, it seems. And if I try to take her in my arms or comfort her, she just looks at me like I’m some lesser species or something.”