An Unexpected Intervention to Save Lizzie's home

Derrick sat awhile by himself, moping over the loss. He gave Josiah a hostile look whenever Josiah attempted to look at him with concern. No one was going to pity him tonight!

He was surprised when the three men came back in the bar later, and returned to his table, as if nothing had happened between them. One of the men even offered him a smoke. He was beginning to relax; They were not such bad fellows. Maybe he could strike a deal. Maybe there was something at home he could give them instead of the horse.

As if they were sensing his reluctance to go home without Perrier, one of the men made an offer.

“We’d be happy to play another round with you, Henri.” The man stated. “We’d be happy to give you the opportunity to win your horse back, provided you have something more to wager.”

Joe gave him a quizzical look from the bar, and Derrick gave him back a cold stare which he hoped got the message across. Don’t ask and don’t interfere!

Michael kept silent, but Derrick felt himself being drawn towards the door. It seemed undeniably attractive. He would leave now; He would walk to Rebecca’s home. It wasn’t far, and he could wait out the storm, and ask her what she thought he should do about getting home. Maybe he could even stay the night there and find a way to get home in the morning.

Go see Rebecca. She isn’t busy, Derrick. She’ll help you get home. You can borrow a horse from her neighbor.

 Damn nigger! Still wouldn’t get out of his head.

Go away! Michael!

“Alright, gentleman. Let’s play another round.” Derrick agreed reluctantly. He wasn’t going to give up his opportunity to win Perrier back.

He was even more shocked when the first two men each plunked down 80 gold coins. They were raising the wager! He had nothing at the moment. What was worth 80 gold coins that he knew of? What would he wager?

“Derrick, do y’ need a ride home? I need to leave now, so you’ll have to give up the game, but it wouldn’ be any trouble.” Josiah looked at him pleadingly. “I’m sure Lizzie will be glad to see you fer Supper.” He added, looking down at his feet. His heart twisted a little when he thought of Lizzie waiting at home for Derrick, and he felt awkward talking to her sophisticated husband.

Hmmp. Lizzie would not be nearly as glad to see Derrick as she would be to see Josiah. Lizzie would be so grateful for the excuse to throw her arms around Josiah and thank him profusely. Josiah saves the day again! When was he ever going to get to play the hero?

“No, I’m fine, Josiah. I have to finish this game. I’ll make it home another way.”

Josiah looked reluctant to go.

“Go on, Josiah. I’m just going to have another game with these gentlemen, nothing to worry about.” The longer he stood talking to the former sharecropper, the more ridiculous he felt.

“Derrick,” Josiah tried again. “You don’t have to give me anythin’ this time. This is dif’frent. Sometimes we need to help each other out.”

“No, Josiah! I don’t need help. I’m fine.” He said, pushing Josiah away and sitting down for the game to start.

Josiah felt helpless. Riding hard, he still would not make it back to the tavern with Lizzie before Derrick lost a considerable amount of their wealth. He would hate to bring her here; But if anyone could stop him, Lizzie would find a way.

Rebecca. Bring her back instead.

Michael hadn’t gone silent after he’d encouraged Josiah to try to get Derrick out of the tavern.