Man and Wife & Derrick's Second Attempt

Hi, dear readers, hope you're enjoying the story; please vote and comment if you feel the story is worth it. Thanks!

Had Lizzie not informed Scarlett of Derrick's attempt to burn the Certificates of Freedom? Should he be the one to break the news? Or did Scarlett know  already----yet, like her mistress, Lizzie---choose not to face the reality that things could get worse?

Something told Thomas to hold back. Scarlett might choose to retaliate at Derrick, endangering both herself and her children.

Thomas felt sad he had not been able to communicate his point better to Scarlett. He was reluctant to return without the children as his wife was already making arrangements, based on his belief that he would return with them.

He would pray for them. And perhaps he could also spare some funds for Lizzie to aid her in freeing Scarlett sooner. He needed to consider his budget for the next year and whether it would be feasible for himself and for the school.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“Derrick! What a nice surprise!” Lizzie could hardly believe her eyes. It had been three weeks since she had seen her husband and now he was finally back. He had been spending more and more time away from her since the incident with the Freedom Certificates.

Although Lizzie was now wary of him, she was relieved to have him here. Having a husband who shared the same house with her was much better than one who still lived with his mother.

“Likewise. It’s good to see you, my dear. I was afraid I might not get away today. But thankfully, business on the plantation slowed down enough for me to make it over.”

“I’m glad it did. I hope you’ll at least stay for Supper tonight.” She also hoped he would stay and keep her bed warm. But she knew no proper way to mention that.

She didn’t want him thinking any less of her.

“Of course, my dear. Why wouldn’t I? Patsy is one of the best cooks in the county, after all,” Derrick affirmed.

“She is certainly the best cook I’ve ever met, Derrick. But we have been sparing with ingredients lately."

She still found an occasional basket of eggs and even a chicken once or twice, but Josiah's deliveries had slowed down markedly since her marriage. She couldn’t blame him; He was probab ly trying to keep a low profile.

“Well, once I implement a few changes here, you’ll have no trouble buying whatever you require."

 “Derrick! We’ve been over this... I will respect your ways of doing things on your plantation, and you will respect my ways here. I don’t want any changes made---at least none that we haven’t discussed together beforehand. There may be some things I would be willing to change, but the final decision needs to be mine”

“My dear, I’m your husband! I’m just doing my best to look after you as your father would have wanted. I have the responsibility of a husband to make sure my wife lives well and the plantation is kept up."

“Things are fine here! I want a companion, not a business adviser. My father trusted me to run this place one day. That’s why he prepared me to do it. Because he trusted that I was capable of it."