36

I couldn't move

I couldn't move. Too stunned by the bomb, Katelyn just dropped on me. My mind, turned to quick sand, sucking me in until blackness beld into my vision.

I watched, helplessly paralyzed, as she walked away from me. The music from the bar was a dull drum and the cars on the road barely registered in my mind.

In that moment, I knew I fucked up.

I should have stayed away from her, I should have never kissed her. Most of all, I should have never broken all of my rules for her.

Why did it feel like she just shredded my insides? And I did I want to run after her? Isn't this what I wanted?

The bar doors burst open and Chloe rushed out. "What did you do?"

"I..." my words failed.

Running my hands through my hair, I paced back and forth on the sidewalk. A panic seized my chest, constricting my breathing and cutting off my words.

Chloe shook her head, a deep frown settling between her eyes. "I think you should just stay away from her for a little while."

I shook my head. "I don't know if I can do that, Chloe."

I never even entertained the idea of Katelyn staying in my life. But I also never prepared myself for her walking away, and I'd be a fool not to admit that it rattled me.

More than that, it shook the very foundation I was standing on. I kept thinking that I could convince her that what we had was enough. Clearly, I was wrong. So, very, wrong.

Chloe folded her arms over her chest and tapped a foot against the sidewalk. She looked like she was about to rip me a new one. "Well, you have to."

With one final withering glare, Chloe turned and marched to the parking lot. I remained rooted to my spot, unable to move, or even think beyond those words.

She loved me.

The more my mind worked its way around the concept, the more panicked I became.

I wasn't ready for this!

My mind tried to convince me that this was for the better but the idea of never seeing her again, never hearing that melodic laugh, never touching her again, was almost too much to bare.