15

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my brown hair cascading down my shoulders in loose waves

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, my brown hair cascading down my shoulders in loose waves. The white dress that's been in my suitcase for more than a week now clung around my waist and flared out at the skirt coming to rest above my knees. The bandage was still wound around my hand but not as bulky as the doctor made it. But this person in the mirror felt like a stranger now, I could recall her from memory but she wasn't who I am now, I had changed. In the span of a week given all I had learn, I had changed. My eyes flicked over to the box of letters on the nightstand and my heart race picked up. Two letters in and I could already feel my whole perception shifting and I dreaded reading the rest of them.

There was a part of me that wanted to just rip them open, discover their secrets, but a bigger part of me wanted to take it slow because to me those letters felt like my mom was here, talking to me. I wasn't ready for that to end yet. The letters somehow kept her alive, a tangible part in a world she was no longer a part of.

I took one final glance at my appearance and walked to the main house. Monica was busy clearing the table when I walked in.

"Good morning! You look gorgeous honey!"

I smiled, not quite letting it reach my eyes, "Thank you, Monica. Have you found out anything about Macy?"

Monica sighed, "Not yet honey, it's strange how everyone in this town are loose lipped when they're gossiping but when you try to get information they shut tighter than a clam. But I'll still be looking, okay?"

"Thank you." I said a little deflated.

Macy knew better than anyone what happened and why my mom could never come back, she was also family and some of the only I had left. I heard a car pull into the driveway and a minute later Shay thundered through the house and dive bombed Monica's legs.

Olivia walked in shaking her head at Shay, "What did I say about running Shay?" the little girl smiled up at her mother and Olivia rolled her eyes then turned to me, "You ready to go?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to drive my own car, you okay with that?"

Olivia nodded her head, "Sure!"