Episode 1: Shipwrecked

Start from the beginning

"No." Don whispers back.

"What a coincidence." I say as I bring out the present I brought for Don from out of my hoodie pocket. Another bottle of whiskey. "This is for you."

Don laughs excitedly before grabbing my face and smooching me appreciatively on the lips and says 'Thank you' happily. He pulls back before I can even comprehend what just happened and whisks the bottle from my hands and inspects it.

I stand there frozen and blushing a little for a second before shaking my head and laughing with the kids who are giggling like maniacs.

If you're asking, no. Don and I aren't together. I'm just as surprised as you are. Surly it was just an act of gratitude.

"Wait a minute. This is the missing bottle from my last box!" He points out.

I laugh nervously and scratch my neck. "Yeah. I kinda stole it from you. Never got around to drinking it though. Sorry. Thought it'd be a nice present to give it back."

"Eh. At least it's back." Don smiles. "But this isn't the end of it." He glares playfully.

"Hey, Will." John calls. "Merry Christmas, buddy." John hands Will a present.

"Present time!" Penny cheers.

"Let's do this!" Don joins.

We all sit on the couches.

Will opens his present to reveal a box with a key in it.

"Ooh." Says Don excitedly.

Everyone laughs lightheartedly. Will smiles brightly as he holds up the key to the Chariot.

"Time you learned how to drive." Says John. "I couldn't exactly wrap the Chariot."

Will laughs and hugs his dad. "Thanks, Dad!"

"Um, you don't actually need the key to drive, or lessons, or permission." Penny says.

Will brings over a crate and pulls a bunch of notebooks out of it. "This is for Penny." He hands us each one of the books.

"Um, how is it for Penny if everyone but Penny gets one?" Asks Penny.

"Here." Will says as he hands her one.

"Did she write this?" John asks quietly.

"Thank you." Penny says sarcastically as she takes the notebook from Will.

Penny looks at the cover and she suddenly looks nervous.

"So, um..." Will starts, "Penny's been writing kind of a memoir about our experience. It's really good, so I published it."

"Wow!" Everyone murmurs.

"Are we really doing this?" Penny asks nervously.

"It's called Lost in Space." Will says. "Our Jupiter was hurtling through the atmosphere at twenty-five times the speed of sound. We were going to crash... but for me this wasn't the scary part. The scary part happened long before anything went wrong, when we we're sailing merrily on a trip to Alpha Centauri, because the idea of space has scared me for as long as I can remember."

"Is that true?" Maureen asks.

"No interrupting." Will says. "I always thought space was darker than dark and colder than cold, and worst of all, empty. I can't think of a lonelier place. (my room) My mom thinks that space isn't empty after all. That it's filled with dark matter we just can't see. I'm not a scientist like her. I don't believe in things just because they make the equations add up. I need to learn things for myself and that's where the trouble always starts. But I'm getting ahead of myself. This is the story of discovery... but not of strange new worlds. It's about discovering what's in the places you thought were empty. Sometimes it's the invisible force of my family... pulling at me, even when I can't see them... reminding me... that I'm never really alone. And sometimes it's about discovering horrible monsters that want to bite your face off."