Detention

**Harry's POV**
A few days had passed and I still couldn't get McGonagall's scolding out of my head. She took fifty points from Emilia and me, and Neville of all people, because we were out of bed after curfew. Clearly our housemates weren't happy about that.

Emilia, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Neville and I were sitting down in the great hall when an owl swooped down with a note. I opened it and read.

"Your detention will be served tonight at 11:00pm with Hagrid. -Professor Minerva McGonagall"

Oh, great.

I looked across the great hall and saw that Malfoy was holding a piece of paper, ranting about something. He must've gotten the same note.

*******

Later that night, Filtch gathered Emilia, Neville, Malfoy, and me and lead us into the forbidden forest.

Hagrid stopped when we came across a puddle of a silver looking fluid.

"See that?" Hagrid pointed to the puddle. "That there's unicorn blood. It's our job to find ter creature and hopefully help it. Tis'll be done quicker if we split inter groups. Harry, Emi, you come with me. Neville, you'll be with Malfoy."

Malfoy looked annoyed and frightened at the same time.

"Fine, then I get Fang," he said with pseudo fierceness. 

"Suit yerself. Jus so yer know, he's a bloody coward." Malfoy's face dropped. "Also, cast a spell and send red sparks shootin up if yer come across anything bad."

We split into our groups and right as we got out of earshot of Malfoy and Neville, red sparks flew up.

We all ran to where the sparks came from. We weren't surprised to see a laughing Malfoy and a trembling Neville. Emi rushed to Neville, whispering something to which he replied

"Malfoy, he jumped behind me and scared me!"

"Bloody hell," I could hear Hagrid mutter. "Fine. Group changes. Neville, Harry, yer coming with me. Emi, Malfoy, you'll go with Fang." Emi and I looked at each other, terrified.

**Emilia's POV**
Draco and I started walking, him holding the lamp, Fang by my side.

I didn't want to make conversation, but I had to. This night would be torturous without any. I looked at Draco and felt something. Pity? Empathy? I wasn't sure, but it gave me the courage to speak.

"So, Draco..." I started.

"What, Emilia?" He sounded annoyed, but I was too taken aback by him calling me by my first name to care.

"How're you?" This time he looked taken aback.

"I- I, um... fine?" When was the last time someone genuinely asked this kid how he was?

"Are you actually fine?" my voice broke slightly and I felt a blush rise to my cheeks from embarrassment.

**Draco's POV**
"Are you actually fine?" her voice broke. I could see the blush on her cheeks, but then her hair turned slightly purple at the roots before fading back to its fire-y red. Must've been the lighting of the lamp in the night or something.

"I..." I didn't know how to answer. I've been asked how I am before, but never has anyone actually made it sound like they genuinely care. "I don't know."

"What's wrong?" She looked at me with sympathetic eyes. Where do I even begin?

"So much. You know, I'm sorry I make fun of you. It's just easier than being nice and therefore letting you in. Not just you of course, Harry too." I tried to avoid the question. How could I answer a question I didn't know the answer to?

"You know, we only dislike you because you make fun of our friends. Ron, Neville, Hermione. Maybe if you just put your walls down a bit we could all be good friends?" I scoffed.

"It's not nearly that easy. What do you know about letting down walls?" She looked at me knowingly.

"A lot more than you think. You'll get hurt a bit, sure. But everyone gets hurt sometimes. People hurt people. It's just a way of life, as I've learned. But that shouldn't stop you from living and loving. You know?" She looked over at me, giving me a half smile.

"I-" before I could say anything I looked over Emilia's shoulder and saw a hooded figure leaning over what seemed to be a dead unicorn. "Emilia, walk towards me," I said cautiously, trying my best to make sure the figure didn't hear us. But it did, and it looked straight at us. "Run!" I grabbed Emilia's hand, and we started running. But I was nervous and scared and my hands were sweaty; so were hers. At that point I was just holding onto her fingers, when she must've tripped and fell because when I looked back I didn't see her. "Emilia!" I looked down at my hand. A ring with a lightning bolt. It must've slipped off Emilia's finger.

I set off red sparks.

**Emilia's POV**
I fell on my face.

I tried getting up, but as I turned there was a hooded figure right above me. It was slowly lowering itself towards me and I could feel the fear in my chest.

Before I could process what was going on, the hooded figure raced away, and before me stood a centaur. My mouth was open, I didn't know what to think.

"Emilia Potter," the centaur spoke. How did he know my name? "It's not safe here, you must leave."

"I-I'm just here for detention. What was that thing?"

"Unicorn blood is so powerful that once the blood touches your lips, you will be granted life even if you are an inch from death. But it will be a half life, a cursed life. Can you think of no one who would be willing to slay a unicorn for their own life?" he looked at me knowingly.

"Voldemort."

"And do you know what is inside the castle at this very moment? Something that may be in Voldemort's eye?"

"The philosophers stone..."

"Emilia!" Harry came running towards me, throwing himself on me in a hug. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Draco what happened!" he demanded answers.

Draco's fist was clenched. But he didn't seem angry.

"Hagrid," the centaur spoke.

"Firenze! It's good ter see yer. Though I wish it were under different circumstances."

"You all must leave. The forbidden forest is a dangerous place at night. Especially for you, Harry and Emilia Potter."

"Alright. Let's go," Hagrid said, motioning for all of us to go in front of him. "Thank yer, Firenze." The centaur bowed his head in response. I shot him a grateful smile as we walked away, leaving Firenze out of sight.

*******

We went back to the common room that night to find Fred, George, Hermione, and Ron all sitting by the fire. As Neville went to bed, Harry and I explained the situation. How Voldemort wants the philosophers stone so he can make the elixir of life to bring himself back. Harry theorized that snape is trying to get it for Voldemort.

"That's terrible! We have to get it before he does!" Ron exclaimed.

"What? What do you mean we?" George protested.

"What, Georgie, a little adventure never hurt anyone!" Fred slapped his brothers back playfully.

"All I know is we have to get it before he does. If he gets it, who knows what'll happen to the wizarding world..."

**Draco's POV**
That night I separated ways with the rest of those Gryffindors with so much as a glance. Though when I met Emilia's eyes, I felt a sting in my chest as she walked out of sight.

I got to my dormitory and laid down on my bed. I tried going to sleep, but I couldn't. So I examined the ring still gripped tightly in my hand. It was simple, but beautiful. Emilia will notice it's gone eventually. Should I give it back to her? No, no I'll let her come to me.

What's happening to me?