Chapter 14: Sense and Sensibility - Part II

"They're a rotten lot," I shouted, across the lawn. "You're worth the whole damn bunch put together."

Fitzgerald F. Scott, The Great Gatsby

_________________________________

Kara huffed loudly as she let go of the book in her hands. It landed on the table next to a small pile of books with a loud thud that echoed in the deserted library, making her wince - and cough as her action sent a cloud of ancient dust speckles spreading into the air. It was proving impossible to keep the train of her thoughts in line when none of the few remaining scientific pieces of literature in the archive managed to keep her interested for more than a few minutes.

Kara let her gaze wander around for a moment, reliving her memories of the place from so long ago.

The central library of Argo was a magnificent, yet simple, geometrical structure, designed to exhibit the glory of the advancement level Krypton had achieved. It resembled a pentagon, much like a Kryptonian glyph, with each side dedicated to a specific branch in science and separate entrances. That was at least how Kara remembered it since the destruction of the planet had wrecked almost half of the architecture, leaving behind a pile of rubble in most parts. She followed the only clear path through the boulders, and had walked through the once automatic gates, barely held on the hinges and covered in rust.

The interior of the grand library, unlike Kara's expectation, was much better preserved. The eastern wing, the only standing section, was divided from the rest of the area with a protective wall - A visibly new addition after the fall of Krypton - in order to keep the only intact literature safe.

As Alura had mentioned, most of the holograms didn't work anymore. Some fizzled out the moment Kara turned them on, thus she searched deeper for the only physical books Argo owned. She removed them from their encasing, enjoying the tickling sensation of ancient papers against her fingertips cautiously. Something she wasn't allowed to do when she visited the library as a child. Kara smiled to herself, remembering the strict librarian who always glared at her the moment she stepped too close to these rare books. Kara sure had made herself a bad reputation with him after sneaking one of the books back home with herself without permission once. Her smile fell, thinking that he too must have perished when Krypton fell.

But even having her hands on these once forbidden books hadn't been successful in distracting her from the weight of troubling thoughts. She felt lost in a way she hadn't felt in years, facing yet again a drastic change in her life and she didn't know how to keep calm or where to seek wisdom from.

"I could really use your help right now," Kara whispered with closed eyes, calling onto Red Daughter. She was desperate and since talking to her in that place, it seemed that only she was able to see through her personal conflicts like no one else. "Please, please, please..." She pleaded to no avail. She had no idea how she could contact Red Daughter. Maybe it only worked if she were asleep, but then again, how had it worked before when her body had been snatched while being wide awake?

Kara sighed and gave up. Covering her face with both hands, Kara leaned her elbows to the table and remained that way, resigned and clueless. How was she going to gain control over anything now? Did she ever have control over anything, to begin with?

"You Kryptonians and your libraries..." A voice suddenly sneered.

Kara snapped her head towards the door to the eastern wing and saw Mon-El's tall figure walking towards her with an amused smile curving his lips and hands shoved securely in his pockets.

"Oh, is this too boring for your Royal Daxamite taste, now?" Kara shot back with equal sarcasm, not missing a beat. Seeing his familiar relaxed posture and hearing his trademark undignifying cheeky banter, brought a nostalgic smile to her own face involuntarily.