Chapter 17: The Beginning of Silence

Itziar took the opportunity to go out and see the sunset when the lockdown restrictions have been slightly lifted to give the people of Spain a feel of the coming new normal.

New normal. What a term, Itziar thought. As if the old normal was ever normal. The old normal was what humans in power instilled in communities, and took for granted what nature and wildlife had to offer for hundreds of years, without giving anything back. She believed that the virus was nature's course of action before the earth is fully destroyed for future generations. Mother Earth is slowly healing herself.

Itziar took snapshots of the sunset. How could something so glorious and beautiful bring so much joy and sadness at the same time? She breathed the fresh air, cleaned up of carbon for the past three months. She was looking at the horizon and thought of all the sunsets she witnessed in another world she left behind. It was the same sunset yet absolutely different.

She took some time ordering her food at the outdoor cafe. People have been out and about but were keeping the required distance in this relaxed quarantine. Her body was healing nicely. What she wouldn't give to have her heart completely heal too. After all, it had been a little more than a year since the silence.

---

Álvaro and Itziar used to freely like posts and type comments on each other's IG pages, back when the show was still at the local channel. Each of their followers have not even reached a million then, unlike those of Úrsula, Miguel, Jaime, Maria and their other younger co-stars, who along with the 'millennials' were automatically into this social media thing.

Álvaro's and Itziar's representatives, however, insisted on making an official page for each, which they will maintain as part of their PR platform and also for their personal use to reach out to fans. This will not only be to their brand's and name's advantage, and to prevent some scrupulous people from monetizing fake accounts, but will also help them get their names out there for scouts, which meant more work opportunities. Actors and actresses even have social media seminars for such PR things, discussing what they can or cannot do or post, so as not to breach terms of privacy and confidentiality with their current and future work. They have contracts for these with a few binding clauses, so they have to be careful what and when they post.

But, as with these clauses come the freedom to like and comment when they were allowed to post snapshots from the show once an episode will be near airing.

Everyone on the show had no problem with such posts and had not looked into it as out of the ordinary. Everyone was proud of their own contribution to make each episode great, whether it be with one group of the cast, la banda del atraco, or the other, la policía. Emojis con besos are common. Tags and hashtags are necessary to generate buzz for the show as per usual.

But that was when Álvaro and Itziar were the greatest of friends and co-stars

But that was when Álvaro and Itziar were the greatest of friends and co-stars. Back then, they were just having fun.

Two weeks after they got back from Thailand to take the holiday break, Álvaro sent a message to Itzi.

"Can I call you? Privately?"

Itzi saw the notif on her phone and read the message. She knew what he meant. "I will be going out. Call me in 10 minutes." She sent the reply.

Itzi was alone at the house but she still opted to get out and visit a nearby restaurant. The place was almost empty, thank God. She chose a small table at the far end side of the place. She ordered a sandwich and a fruit juice, and waited for Álvaro's call.

Álvaro was also alone at his house but he went out and visited a newly opened pasta house two blocks from his place. He chose a two-seating table, and ordered pesto and a beer to go with it. He then placed his Bluetooth earpiece for the smartphone and made the call. Itzi picked up on the third ring.

"Si?" Silence. "Álvaro?" She heard his sigh on the other end.

"Why have you not messaged me on WhatsApp?"

"I was waiting for you to call me first."

"You know I can't easily do that." Silence. "Itzi?" He heard soft gasps. "Mi amor, estas llorando? Stop crying, por favor..." He heard her wipe her tears and blow her nose.

"Lo siento. Joder! We've talked about this! We have left everything done, did we?" She said in between gulps.

"I told you. I will talk to Blanca and have everything arranged so that I will share custody of the twins--"

"And I told you not to do something so stupid as divorce your wife and break up your family for me!"

"Pero Itzi--"

"Pero nada! Álvaro, stop this nonsense and forget everything! We agreed!"

"And I fucking shouldn't have!" He was losing his patience. God, what did he do to deserve this wonderful woman? "I shouldn't have to settle! Not for the kids, not for my wife who has been more of a best friend to me, not for my own fucking peace of mind!"

He pushed the plate of pasta away from him and took a swig of his beer. He rubbed his eyes and ruffled his hair as his habit when frustrated. He heard Itzi gasping again.

"Honey, we did not want this. We did not choose this to happen. But it already did." He laughed without mirth. "Sergio and Raquel had it good. They were fugitives but they can be together. We will not be hounded by the law like them, but we will be chased by our conscience. It's the fucking worst!"

"Exactly." She answered softly. "Álvaro, don't talk about leaving your family. They don't deserve it."

"What about me? What do I deserve? And you? What do you deserve? Or maybe, this isn't about me getting a divorce." He tried not to get angry so he would not say things he'll regret. He failed. "Maybe I was just a diversion to forget that your marriage is not that perfect either!"

"That's not true, maitasun, don't say that--" her voice was pleading. She was crying again.

"Then what?! Qué?! Qué haré?"

"No lo ," he almost couldn't hear her soft voice. He breathed in deeply and waited for a few beats before deciding. This will not do, for either of them. He was not willing to bleed out when that blood will not be taken or received.

"Okay then. This will be my last call." No response. "Or my last message." Still no response. "Itziar?"

"Si." She answered. "I'm so sorry."

"Enough now. Just remember, this is what you wanted. There's no turning back."

"Si. No hay vuelta atrás."

He hung up. Itziar turned off her phone. She wasn't very hungry either, so she paid the bill and walked home. She was wiping her tears fast and was afraid Roberto would be back by then and see her crying, so she circled the block three times and stopped to get a bottled water from a store before walking slowly, directly to her house.

The house was still empty when she got back. She washed her face, changed into a shirt, then lay down on the bed and fell asleep.

That day was the beginning of silence.