09 - mr swag and little miss sunshine

When I got out of the house, the sun blinded me and I felt like a vampire, the sun turned me into a burning pile of ash. But of course that didn't happen to me, because I am not an immortal blood-sucker.

I walked in to town, dragging my feet behind me as I kept my eyes trained on the ground. How was I going to find a Christmas themed teenage girl's costume for this party which wasn't a slutty Santa or a slutty elf?

As I walked up the high street, a door opened to a shop further up and Mr Ashton Irwin walked out, in black jeans and a black jacket, and he was staring at his phone. Unfortunately, he looked up with squinted eyes and saw me. He grinned at me and I couldn't help but smile slightly back. He put on his sunglasses to relieve his eyes from the sunlight and gave me a swaggy look. I laughed and walked up to him.

"Ooh, look at Mr Swag over here." I chuckled, holding up my phone and taking a picture.

He laughed back and joined me on my walk. I gave him an unamused look, my mood swinging with the hangover.

"I'm guessing you're just as hungover as I am?" He attempted to make conversation.

"Yeah." I replied, rubbing my temples as I tried to not let his voice contribute to the already throbbing headache that was threatening what little good mood I had.

"Where are you off to?" He asked me.

"I need to get a costume for this party." I answered.

"Can I come? I can help you choose." He offered his aid, and I raised my eyebrows at him.

"What do you want, Ashton?"

"I'm just offering to help you. I know how painful hangovers can be."

I shrugged and let him join me. I was not in the mood to argue with him this morning. He kept trying to talk to me, but I just brushed him off every time.

Then I suddenly remembered a vital piece of information that I wanted to learn more about. Maybe Ashton would know about it? I turned to him and studied his face, which slowly turned confused as he met my gaze and noticed I was staring at him.

"Do you know anything about Michael and Cara?" I asked him.

His eyebrows furrowed as he took in the suddenness of my question. "Um... I know they broke up... and I know she likes Luke."

"Does Luke like her?"

He looked up at the sky, and seemed to be thinking hard about this question. He looked into my eyes and sighed, looking down at his feet. He seemed to be fighting with himself about what to say to me. Finally he decided on his answer, and shook his head firmly. "No. He doesn't like her."

I sighed in relief. "That's good. Him and Michael won't fall out." I smiled up at Ashton's hazel eyes. They were sparkling with an emotion similar to my relief, but I think he was relieved for a different reason.

Before I could ask him what he was thinking, we reached the costume store.

"Slutty Santa here we come!" Ashton rubbed his hands together and grinned at me with mock glee.

I frowned at him and shook my head as we entered the store. He immediately dived for the more... promiscuous outfits, but I gazed at the overall collection of clothes.

Taking off my sunglasses, I ran my fingers through streamers and over velvet. The colours were overwhelming, and I smiled at the happy yellows and blues and reds.

"What are you beaming about, Little Miss Sunshine?" A voice startled me from behind, and I jumped and whirled around, causing my head to spin.

"Nothing much." I shrugged, smiling a small smile at Ashton.

His lips were curled at the edges into a smirk, and I rolled my eyes at him. He still watched me, and I averted my gaze to the costumes around me. I couldn't see any I liked at the moment, so I wandered further into the store, Ashton trailing after me.

"Would you like any help, miss?" A store clerk suddenly appeared in front of me, and I jumped in fright. I heard a snigger from Ashton's direction and I frowned. It was so easy to startle me, a nasty curse of mine.

I was about to open my mouth to reply when Ashton interrupted me. "Hi there." He stepped out from behind me and joined my side, grabbing onto my hand and intertwining our fingers. It sent a jolt up my arm, and I flinched slightly. "I'm Mr Swag and this is Little Miss Sunshine." I rolled my eyes, and the clerk chuckled quietly. He was cute, brown straight hair that was styled to the side a bit, but didn't fall over his forehead like those younger boys had it styled. He had deep brown eyes and a beautiful smile that made me want to hug him and then go hug other people to spread the happiness.

"Ignore the swagmaster here." I chuckled and pulled my hand out of his grasp, ignoring the protests in my head. "I'd like a Christmas costume, but I can't find one that I like at the moment." I smiled at Mr Brown Eyes.

"I can see some I like." Ashton winked at me, motioning to the slutty outfits surrounding us.

I groaned and shook my head. "Maybe you can be Miss Claus then?" I raised my eyebrows at him, and he just smirked at me.

"Um... the other costumes are this way." Brown Eyes motioned for us to follow him, and I walked behind him further into the store.

Here were more... appropriate costumes. I mean, I was going to be one of the older people there, I wasn't looking to impress anyone. And anyway, slutty outfits weren't my thing.

We searched for a while, and eventually I decided I was going to go with something that wasn't really a costume.

It was a blue v-neck t-shirt, a gold cardigan thing and blue skinny jeans. It had tear-drop earrings and gold heels. Basically, my outfit was themed around an icicle. I kind of liked the idea, because I didn't have to be some stupid thing, it would have just looked like I came dressed in Christmas coloured clothes.

"By the way, my name is Tavie. Not Little Miss Sunshine." I told the store clerk person.

He smiled at me. "Well, you're boyfriend chose a good nickname for you though."

I glanced at Ashton, then back at Brown Eyes. "Um... no, he's not my-"

"I know right? She's very sunny, isn't she?" Ashton tried to hold back his laughter at my flabbergasted state.

Brown eyes laughed and nodded. "Yeah. Well, I'm Kye. And it was nice to meet you two. Have a good party." Then he walked away.

I turned to Ashton with my mouth hanging open in shock. "You let him think we were together?"

He shrugged. "I saw you looking at him, I couldn't have him thinking you were single." He winked at me and led me out of the shop.

"B-but why not?" I was so confused. I didn't like Ashton, and I thought he felt the same. After this very messed up encounter with Kye, I wasn't so sure anymore.

Ashton just looked at me as if I was stupid.

"You're into drummers, right?"

I nodded.

"Well, I'm into sunshines."

______________________

I'm just going to leave you with that.