06 - michael wants another slice

"Cal..." I said, biting my lip.

"Yeah?" He had his arm around my shoulders and he smiled down at me. We were on our way to the rehearsal, and I was beginning to get slightly nervous.

"A-are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked.

"Yeah! Definitely!"

"But Ashton's going to be there." I mumbled, hugging Cal tighter to me.

He chuckled and shrugged. "But so are Luke and Michael and me. Ash isn't going to do anything, and besides, he's actually an okay guy... deep down. We wouldn't have asked him to join if he was a complete dïck." He assured me.

"Yeh. Deep deep deep down." I muttered.

He laughed. "You're a happy bunny today, aren't you?"

"Shut up. I had Physics today. I don't know why I decided to do it for A-Level. I hate it with a burning passion." I said with a scowl.

"Oh well. Hopefully 5SOS will cheer you up." He grinned down at me.

I smiled back. He was so passionate about his band. Maybe he was right. Maybe Ashton was a nice guy, buried deep down under his stupid ego and other stuff.

Nah. Definitely not.

Well, I could at least try to get on with him... for Cal's sake.

Cal lead me into a driveway. Who's house was this? It was so sweet, quite small, but with an adorable blue door and cream walls.

We went up to the door and Cal knocked, finally taking his arm from my shoulder. I smiled nervously up at him as we waited for the door to open.

A sweet lady opened the door with a smile. "Oh, hello Calum! Is this your girlfriend?" She asked.

I cringed, why do people always have to ask that about me and Calum? When we're out and see people that we know, they almost always ask this question. I hated it, it was so awkward.

He chuckled, glancing at me. "No, Mrs Irwin. Actually, Tavie is my best friend." He replied smoothly. He was always able to act so casual about this question, whereas I always choked and froze, unsure what to say.

Wait... Mrs Irwin?

"Oh, well it's nice to meet you Tavie. I'm Ashton's mother. I'm assuming you know him from school?" She introduced herself, holding out a hand. All I could do was gulp, nod, and shake her hand. My mouth was glued shut, afraid of whether my filter would work if I opened my mouth.

"Shall we go straight to the garage?" Cal asked Mrs Irwin.

"Yes the boys are already there waiting for you." She said and Cal took my hand, leading me around the house to a building behind it.

He pulled the door to the garage open, and we went straight in. The boys were all sitting down. Luke and Ashton were glaring at each other, and Michael was trying to ignore the staring contest by fiddling with the sleeves of his sweater.

I was missing something...

"Where have you been, Cal? We've been waiting ages! Oh." Ashton had ripped his angry eyes off Luke, and turned them on Cal. But then he saw me - holding Cal's hand - and his gaze instantly calmed. "Hi Tavie."

I pulled my hand away from Cal's before Luke saw it, and I waved at them all nervously. "Hey guys. Um... sorry I didn't tell any of you today, and obviously Cal has forgotten to tell you, but um... he invited me to watch your rehearsal tonight and give you an outside opinion." I explained, biting my lip.