14 - go on a date?

"So, what's your plan, Cass?" I asked her, standing and leaning against the tree.

"I don't know. I guess that the starting point is to just get Luke to go on a date with Cara." She shrugged.

"Okay, so... we just ask him?" I asked, confusion knitting my eyebrows together. That seemed too easy.

"Yeah, just ask." Cassy nodded.

"Let's go ask him then." I said, setting off in the direction of where Luke was playing football with some other guys.

Cassidy and I stood on the sidelines, watching the (a/n English) football game with wide eyes. The whole game looked so difficult (but, also, the boys were shirtless).

At the end of the game, I quickly grabbed Luke's arm to stop him from leaving so I could ask him the question. Ashton spotted this and lagged behind everyone else. It was obvious to me that he was eavesdropping.

"Luke, um... I was wandering if... you, know... you'd like to go on a date-" as soon as the word 'date' left my lips, Luke's whole face lit up like Disneyland in the holidays, and out of the corner of my eye I saw Ashton's face do the complete opposite.

"Tavie, I would love to!" Luke beamed and wrapped me in his arms and twirled us both around. This action spread a warm, fuzzy feeling throughout my body, and I almost forgot that I hadn't completed the whole question.

As soon as Luke set me down, it was as if I had been dragged back down to reality, and I had to finish my sentence. "Luke, I didn't finish my question. " I bit my lip, and his expression dimmed considerably. I hated that, I had been so happy to be the cause of his happiness.

On the contrary, Ashton had regained hope, stepping slightly closer so he could eavesdrop some more.

I glanced helplessly at Cass, and she realised she had to step in. Reluctantly, she stepped so she was standing beside me.

"Luke, Tavie has made a promise to someone and she doesn't want to break that promise." Cassy said quietly, and I nodded, staring at my shoes so I couldn't watch Luke's reaction. "She was wandering if you'd go on a date with Cara."

I heard a quiet sigh come from Luke, and I looked up to see him staring right at me in disappointment.

"I'll think about it, meet here after school." He murmured, and angrily stomped away.

I met Ashton's gaze and he motioned for me to follow him. I sighed, following after him as I said waved bye to Cassy.

"Since it seems like I have no competition," Ashton started once we were behind the science block. My back was against the wall, and he was standing right in front of me, "I'm just going to take a chance."

"Take a chance on what?" I asked him, trying to steady my breathing. There was no denying that having him so close to me made me nervous.

He smirked at me, and his hand reached up to brush a stray red strand of hair out my face with his long fingers. "Tavie, I was wandering if you maybe want to go on a date with me sometime?" He teased the way I had asked Luke earlier, bopping me on the nose with his finger.

I shook my head, pushing him away from me. "I... I can't." I replied, pinching the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. Why did being around Ashton always give me a headache?

"I know you feel something for me. I can tell. I mean, we kissed, and I know you liked it, I liked it!" Ashton was getting flustered, and I bit my lip, shaking my head.

"No, no no no-"

"You kissed him?" I heard a hushed, betrayed voice to our right, and I looked to see Cal standing there, the most crushed expression on his face I had ever seen.

"No, Cal it wasn't like that-" I said, shaking my head and walking towards him.

"Don't lie to him like that, it'll only make things worse." Ashton came to stand beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

Cal gave me a look of complete disgust, and stormed away.

I turned to Ashton, fury taking over my whole body, and causing me to slap him across the face. He actually looked shocked, and rubbed his cheek with his palm, watching me as I ran after Calum.

"Calum! Wait!" I hurried after him down the hallway, almost all eyes were on us.

Calum sighed and turned around angrily. I flinched at the look he was sending me, and bit my lip anxiously. "What do you want to bother me with now?" He growled lowly.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before continuing. "I never wanted to hurt you, and trust me, my relationship with Ash isn't like that, in fact we-"

"Don't give me that bullshxt, Octavia."

I shook my head when he used my full name, not letting it bug me. He had a right to use it against me.

"The point is you and Ashton kissed, and I-"

"What?!" I heard Aaron's furious voice boom from the crowd, and I winced. His timing couldn't have been better. "Where the fxck is Ashton!" I then saw Aaron disband from the crowd and leave the hallway, presumably to find Ashton, followed by some of his football team - the senior football team.

__________________

shxt just got real.