↠ 44

You didn't know what to say. You'll be leaving the boys here. Maybe it was for the best. You've caused enough trouble here. You averted your gaze as Homura and Michael went to go do the task. Rei shifted his hold on Aika who still remained unconscious. "I'm sorry it's sudden." He apologized. "I know you have your friends here. We can come back in the future if you would like. I actually liked it here."

"I don't know." You admitted.

"You didn't like it here?" Rei asked with surprise in his tone.

"I did." You finally made eye contact with him. "But look what I caused." You gestured to the city. "I forced them to go somewhere else and now they know my secret. What if they decide to turn me into the Doves?"

Rei had scowled when you said the second sentence. "First, let's get this straight. None of this was your fault, okay? It was Akai Ki. It's all of them. If they didn't follow us, then your secret wouldn't be exposed. So don't say that it was your fault."

You let your gaze fall to the floor. You just couldn't help it.

"I don't think they'll turn you in." Rei continued. "It seems that they like you."

You kept quiet, mulling over his words. Finally, the duo returned with backpacks for everyone. Michael handed yours. He kept Rei's and Homura kept Aika's. She opened a bag of flesh, taking pieces out. Quickly she ripped it apart with her hands. It came out messy but that was fine for her. Homura was closer to her and dhe would do anything to help her. Rei shifted so that Aika sat up more. She tilted open Aika's mouth and slipped one small piece inside. Carefully, they tilted her head and let the piece fall.

Homura checked inside her mouth to see that it disappeared. Just as Homura was about to feed another piece to speed up the healing process, there were voices of Doves. "Shit." Rei said. "We need to go."

Homura nodded silently and put the piece back in the bag. "Follow me." Rei said and tightened his hold on Aika. He started running off while you all blindly followed him. After hopping across buildings, everyone slowed down to a stop. It was the south side of the city and Rei descended to the ground. Confused, you followed his lead.

The leader kept walking until there was a lone van parked near the outskirts. "Check the wheel well for a key." He said to no one in particular.

Michael checked the front wheel well and retrieved a key that was taped on the inside. "Is that who you called?" He asked as he unlocked the van door then pressed the unlock button.

"Yes." Rei gestured for you to open the back door to which you did. "I called a friend to see if I can get a van so we can drive to the airport. They had a friend here so they got us this. Booked us tickets for the next flight for Japan." He carefully laid Aika down.

"How did you know?" Michael asked as Homura got in the back with Aika.

Rei sighed. "I thought it was suspicious that Riku himself came over. And it was a backup plan just in case. I thought I would win." He raked a hand through his hair. "But apparently, I'm too weak."

It was rare to see Rei be so hard on himself.

"C'mon. We need to get going." Rei said and got in the driver's seat. You got in the back with the girls and Michael in the passenger seat. Once you got the back doors closed, Rei took off.

It was silent for a while as Homura slipped another piece of flesh inside Aika's mouth. You noticed the grave wound on her chest more clearly now. It was taking a long time to heal. You could see the worry on her face. Resting a hand on her shoulder, you said; "She'll be fine. She's strong."

Homura softly smiled at you. "Yeah, she will."

In the front, Michael asked a question. "When did you see Riku?"

"A few days ago." Rei replied and kept his eyes on the road. "I thought to myself that I shouldn't tell you guys but now I realise that it was stupid to do so." His grip tightened on the wheel in frustration.

Michael nodded. "Yeah it was." Rei agreed to that statement.

You were leaning against the wall of the van. You had slipped off your bag and took a look at the contents. Two shirts, two pants, your laptop with the charger and of course your phone with its charger. You slipped off your mask and let it join with the things in the bag.

Across from you, Homura had Aika's head on her lap. You watched them for a moment before turning your gaze back to your bag. You tapped on the screen of your phone. It was almost dead. Only six percent left and no new messages. Then the screen went black. You stuffed it back in your bag and let the van continue on its journey.

Here was the next big step for you. Getting to the airplane.

Aika had regained consciousness about three hours into the trip. Her grave wound was almost healed. It just needed a bit more flesh and time but time was running out. Everyone had discarded the bloody and ripped clothes somewhere on the side of the highway. For extra measures, Rei carefully burned the clothes just in case Doves managed to stumble across them and if they had your blood on them... You didn't want to think about it.

On the way, medical wraps were bought at some convenience store to keep Aika from bleeding through her shirt. The bag of flesh had been distributed to everyone almost an hour ago. Can't have the people working at the airport know what the mystery meat was.

Rei pulled into an empty lot. "Okay, let's go." 

Everyone got out of the van as Rei used the orginal tape to put the key back to the inside of the wheel well. "Hopefully no one steals it." He mumbled. "The airport is that way." He pointed in the direction and began walking. You all started to follow him. Lucky for you guys, there sun hasn't peeked over the horizon yet. It was about 3:30 in the morning and there weren't too many people out.

After walking for two blocks, you arrived at the airport. It was the same as outside. Not too many people were around. Getting through security was a breeze and now it was just walking to the gate. For almost another hour, the group waited until you were finally called in to start boarding the plane.

Aika and Homura were your partners for this trip. Michael and Rei just behind you. Aika rested in the window seat. "It still hurts a bit." She softly complained.

Homura, next to her, instantly had a worried face. "How can I help?"

Aika shook her head and closed her eyes. Looks like she was going to sleep. You rested against the stiff chair, eyes looking up. You had stuffed your backpack in the overhead compartments. Perhaps it was the best to leave.

A roar of the airplane engine came to life. The voice of the pilot didn't reach your ears. Within minutes, the plane took off heading for Japan.