Episode 5: Transmission

Start from the beginning

John looks at me before I shrug. "I agree. Go easy on him." I smile and lightly punch his arm before walking away as well.

...

I was back down in the garage helping Judy look for more reflective materials. It was eerily quiet, making me a little paranoid.

I hear a thud and Judy call, "Hello?"

I continue looking, finding more thermal blankets, when I hear Judy grunt and a loud groan of pain.

Dropping the blankets, I run around the corner. "Judy are you-" I see Don groaning in pain and Judy perfectly fine.

"Son of a... Ow! Yeah. It's broken. Ow!" Don groans holding his nose.

"Wha- What happened?" I ask, trying to contain my laughter.

"He snuck up on me." Judy sighs while rolling her eyes.

"Why are you laughing? I am in so much pain right now! Ah!" Don groans.

"Come on." Judy rolls her eyes and grabs his arm to lead him to the med bay.

"I'll keep looking!" I call to her while chuckling.

"Okay!" She calls back.

...

I'm still in the garage searching for things that might help when I hear Judy's voice.

"Heard all about your crash-landing." She says as I take some thermal blankets from a box behind two other stacked boxes in beside Judy and whoever she was talking to, shielding me from their line of sight, but i look through a crack between crates to see what's up.

"I'm sorry, from... from who?" Smith's voice responds. That must be who she's talking to.

"Don. He said he almost died." Judy states.

"Oh." Smith says shortly, closing a lid to a box. "We all thought we were going to die."

"But he said he was waiting for you." Judy responds.

"Uh... Judy, be careful." Smith says.

"What do you mean?" Judy asks.

"He's not who you think he is." Smith says and Judy looks at her curiously. "When we crashed, Don's friend died on impact. He stole her boots right off her feet. Like it was nothing. He wouldn't even bury her." I furrow my brows.

"Yeah... yeah, well, with the storm-" Judy starts.

"There was no storm yet." Smith interrupts with watering eyes. "I was the one who buried her. Someone had to. And the survivor..."

"Angela?"

"Yes, Angela. She needed help. But he... he just hid under a rock. He wanted to wait the storm out. It was like he didn't care if she lived or died. Then I was the one who had to search for help."

"Why did you tell us you were alone?"

"Honestly? I wanted to protect you. I wanted to protect your family." Smith's voice wavers.

"I should get back to work."

"Okay." She nods and wipes her eye.

Judy walks away and Smith's face changes from a sorrowful one to complete annoyance. I knew I couldn't trust her.

...

We're all gathered around the giant beacon we created, waiting for it to be turned on and shine bright into the sky, signaling the Resolute. I stand next to my brother when they flip the switch and it shines into the sky like a laser beam. Everyone cheers and applauds before I leave and go stand next to Will. We make conversation with Hiroki before beautiful moth like bugs start swarming the beacon. It's an amazing sight. Penny comes up with an MRE and stands next to us.