In A Relationship

One year ago (Before the accident)

***

Debbie was sitting silently on the nicely cut school grass, soaking up vitamins from the radiating sun and numbingly listening to one of the songs on her MP3 player.

She was dressed in her sports gear as she had just come from an intensive soccer training, deciding to shower later on due to laziness.

"How's my precious emerald doing?" Raymond greeted her, coming to sit lackadaisically beside her. He pulled her into a hug before retracting backwards, hands flying up to hold his nose. "You stink."

Debbie laughed at him, pulling him into a deep hug. "I know I just came from soccer practice."

Raymond smiled fondly at her. "And how's that going?" He sat beside her, keeping a noticeable distance from her stench.

"Great," she answered, eyes wide as she talked about her favorite sport. "Coach Donovan said there's gonna be a new transfer student next year from South Africa. His name is Noah and apparently he's some sort of soccer legend."

Raymond took the earphone from her left ear and placed it in his. "I'm sure you can beat him in your sleep," he reassured her.

She smiled lovingly at him before bringing her armpit close to her face, taking a huge whiff. "Damn I do stink."

"Told you so."

"Don't be a dickhead," she berated him, standing up and heading to her hostel. She left her MP3 player with him as he scrolled through her music, looking for a particular song he enjoyed.

"Babe you stink," her roommate told her, holding her nose with one hand as the other hand was typing fast on her phone.

"I'm well aware," Debbie answered her distastefully, taking off her clothes and running the hot water in the shower.

Once the water droplets touched her body she felt an instant sense of ease, releasing a content sigh as she picked up her shampoo.

30 minutes later she came out, her slippers making squeaky sounds on the bathroom floor as she wiped the steam forming on the mirror.

Her wild hair now slightly tamed by the precipitation and she combed a few strands before wrapping a soft cotton towel around it.

Walking out of the bathroom, she sat comfortably on the bed, now addressing her roommate. "How was drama rehearsal?"

Her eyes twinkled in excitement, the phone in her hand temporarily forgotten. "It was great! Olivia finally managed to perfect her lines."

Debbie smiled at that, knowing how she always came back from rehearsal with one or two complaints about Olivia. "That's good."