Death Bed?

***"What do you want Deborah?" Her voice came out curt and uptight, the little hope I had slowly fading away with each word

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

***
"What do you want Deborah?" Her voice came out curt and uptight, the little hope I had slowly fading away with each word. "I'm in the middle of something."

And just like that, all reverie for our relationship vanished into thin air.

"Sorry mum, I just thought you wanted to talk." I was nibbling on my fingers, a bad habit that never left my childhood.

She paused on the phone, giving out a callous sigh before shouting, "Carl! Get these papers to my office. Now!"

I heard the shuffling of paper through the microphone, before the call cut abruptly.

Turn on the Skype on your laptop.

She commanded through text. I did as told, my laptop lagging due to all the files I had stored on it. Come on, work faster! I begged the device, scared that my mum will lose interest and go back to her paperwork.

Finally, it came on and I waited patiently for her call to come through. Fifteen minutes later, a ping alerted me of an incoming video call.

"Hey honey."  She sounded more relaxed now. Through the screen, I could see the white marble design of our kitchen, fake fruits bundled up on the counter she placed her laptop on. She was home. My stomach twisted at the familiar sight.

"I'm sorry for not calling you earlier," I apologized, my eyes still absorbing the scenery. She wore a white pantsuit, her brown hair wrapped in a tight bun. There were little creases on her otherwise flawless face, hidden behind a thin layer of makeup, an indication that she has been stressing herself too much.

I smiled, my heart fluttering with the thought of going home once again.

Her eyes softened at my apology, the harsh exterior she put up at work slowly crumbling down, showing the sweet kind woman I haven't seen in a long while.

"Do you remember?" My smile slowly turned downwards, cursing myself for thinking she'd actually let her guard down enough to care about me.

"No." I spat the words out, my brows scrunched as her wrinkles furrowed further.

"Then why are you calling me?"

I'm beginning to wonder that myself, I thought bitterly. But of course I can never speak that out loud.

"Sorry I'll just-" She interrupted me before I could finish speaking.

"I had some important work to do Deborah," she sighed out, rubbing her head in frustration. "I left everything for you."

"I'm so sor-"

"Did you at least have a dream? Flashback? Anything?" Her eyes contained hope, hope that I was terrified of breaking.

"Yes, I had a dream."

Please don't ask me what I dreamt about.

"What did you dream about?" I could hear the excitement in her voice, eyes crinkling at the side.