Let's Play Soccer

Amazing cover (picture at the top ^^) by Snowww37.

***

Unfortunately, my parents had failed to inform me that we were allowed to go home during the weekends.

So I, along with some other less fortunate souls, were stuck in this hellhole.

Even the matron had gone to her humble abode, procuring a lame excuse that she had a doctor's appointment for a migraine she had just recently developed.

Why didn't you tell me we were allowed to go home during the weekends?

I sent a furious message to my dad, adding some angry emojis to emphasize my mood. Sitting cross legged, I stared at the vacant bed in front of me, waiting patiently for his response.

Michie had gone home on Friday night, apologising profusely for not telling me on time. She said I could follow her home but I politely declined, feeling weird at the thought of entering a stranger's resting place.

I had this odd policy of getting to know the parents first before sleeping at a friend's house. From what I could tell, her mum seemed way too strict and we barely spoke about her dad. Actually, we never spoke about her dad.

I've been meaning to bring up the conversation but I didn't know exactly how. How does one ask a person why they don't talk about their father?

My phone vibrated with an incoming notification, I quickly looked down but sighed afterwards to only see another apology message from Michie.

Sorry again for not giving you the heads-up. I must be a very sucky roommate. Hopefully next time your parents can come pick you up and we can go to that party I was talking about. Thankfully they rescheduled it to next week. Again sorry, I'll stop bugging you now.

She apologizes way too much, I thought to myself as I sent a curt reply, probably adding to her already anxious state.

Ok.

Seeing that my dad wasn't going to reply me anytime soon I abandoned my phone and left my dorm room.

The hallway was quieter than usual, chatter was often heard from behind closed doors and classical music often blared from the TV's audio, prior to the matrons request.

But now everywhere was eerily silent, only the quiet blather of junior students could be heard from the common room.

"Ms. Adabel," I cringed at my last name as I turned to the petite woman that called me.

"Please call me Debbie," she was shorter than me with a black cascading wig down her back and dark brown eyes. Her glassy eyes looked shiny and glazed over with bits of yellow peeking out of her sclera. She was either sick or high out of her mind.