Chapter 16

ZARA

"Why is Thomas with you?" I ask Theo, confused. The last I heard he was one of the bad guys, double-crossing us with the intent to take our son.

If Julie didn't take a swing at him I probably would've, and I highly doubt I would've stopped either. Even looking at him makes me feel sick, knowing that he was working with Mac, plotting against us, using us all.

He sighs, sitting down at one of the beds with Theodore, holding onto his index fingers while he jumps on his legs, giggling, unaware of the shitstorm around us. "He's been with me the whole time. He's good, Zara, he had his reasons."

"Did you hit your head while you were away? He was working with your dad!"

"Zara stop raising your voice, please." My dad placed a hand on my shoulder. "Come, we need to discuss a lot."

We followed him, keeping a close eye on Thomas walking behind me, head down the whole time. Even when we got to the room lined with chairs around a table, he didn't dare look up at me.

My dad checks his cell when it beeps, eyes meeting mine. "Jane is on her way with your things."

When I tried to sit down next to Theo, his hand grasped my wrist and pulled me down to sit on his lap, Julie sat next to us and held her hands out to Theodore. Theo gave her a look, cocking a brow at me when I rolled my eyes and handed his son over. Julie smiled, bouncing him on her knee while we listened to my dad explaining the current situation.

I should be concentrating, but the close proximity of Theo's hand on my thigh, running his fingers absentmindedly up and down, leaning his chin on my shoulder, breathing against my neck has me deaf, dizzy and quite fucking frankly, I'd let him take me right here, right now.

I grab his hand under the table, stopping his movements. "You need to stop that," I hiss, pulling his hand away from me completely.

"What, why? I'm not doing anything," he whispers against my ear, making me shiver. "Am I that irresistible that I can't even touch your leg?"

"Stop."

After an hour of my dad speaking, listening to how he found the two of them unconscious in the tunnels, had his men carry them back to his building for treatment, explaining that he had cameras on all the possible exits from inside the walls. He checked his cell and smiled, looking up at me.

Seconds later the door flew open, bashing against the wall, an extremely frantic looking Jane walks in. I stood, letting Theo stand and walk to her, feeling the butterflies when she covered her mouth, body falling into his embrace, sobbing, laughing, grabbing his cheeks, and smiling up at him.

It's good to see him like this. He told me his mom left him when he was young, ran from his dad, leaving him behind. I'd be sure to give her a piece of my mind if I ever see her, at least he has Jane, she cares for both of us like her own children.

Even Theo is smiling, I can see how firmly he's squeezing her. "Fucking hell, who knew I'd even miss your annoying dip," Theo laughs, dodging a flying hand to his face.

What I didn't expect was her reaction to Thomas sitting at the end of the table, hands clasped, head still down. She threw disgusting looks at him.

She asked Julie to move a chair over so she could sit next to Theo, gripping her hand over his, smiling at him every few minutes while my dad kept talking about rooms for us to stay in and how long it will take for Theo, and sadly Thomas', passports to be ready so we can leave.

I'm sure everyone heard when Theo, more than whispers. "You aren't sleeping tonight."

___