Sometimes Goodbyes Aren't Necessary

Danny:

The heat leaked through the windows of the car and I could feel the humidity sticking to my skin. I watched as the willow trees and lakes moved past us and I took in my new surroundings.

"Daniella," I looked away from the window and gave my mom a small smile, "Only five more minutes," I nodded and watched as Dad turned onto another street. He pulled into the driveway of a white house, with a green door and I felt a mixture of happiness and depression all at once. I left my home town for better care, but my heart was screaming at me for not saying goodbye. Especially to Jackson. Mikey opened my door and I took his hands. He placed me in the wheelchair and we moved towards the door.

"We have a couple hours before we head to the hospital. Why don't you go lay down for a bit," I nodded and Mikey walked us into my new room.

"Wow! This is so much bigger than my old room!" I exclaimed.

"The whole house could fit our old one twice!" Mikey stated with excitement, "I guess Florida has its perks...like being wayyyy cheaper than California."

"I'll let you rest. Do you need help getting into bed?" I shook my head and he smiled, before leaving the room. I grabbed the sides of the wheelchair and pushed up slowly. I grabbed the oxygen tank from the back of the wheelchair and pulled it next to the bed. I sat down on the edge of the bed and laid back slowly. My whole body ached with exhaustion and I fell asleep quickly.

"Danny," someone whispered, while shaking me lightly. I sat up and readjusted the nasal prongs in my nose.

"Time to leave."

"Yes. I already packed your hospital bag," I smiled at Mikey and he helped me into the wheelchair, "I have a surprise for you, but you have to wait until we get to the hospital."

"Aw, c'mon, I hate surprises!"

"I know, that's why it's a surprise," he teased.

We arrived at the hospital ten minutes later, and I was admitted into the main part of the hospital.

"My name is Dr. Torres. I'll be caring for you while you're here."

"I'm Danny. It's nice to meet you."

"This treatment has been extremely successful with prior patients. It is sixteen months of a new chemotherapy treatment, along with two months of radiation," I nodded and could see my parents taking notes.

"Will she be here the whole time?" Mikey asked and Dr. Torres nodded.

"Only for the chemo and monitoring. The radiation will be a fifteen minute session here and she will be home during those two months," I nodded again and she left the room.

"We're going to get coffee. Do you want anything from the cafeteria?"

"No thanks, Mom."

"Mikey?" he shook his head and then pulled out a package.

"I did promise a surprise," I took the present eagerly and tore off the blue paper.

"A nintendo switch! You got me a switch!" I pulled him into a tight hug and he pulled away smiling.

"I figured you will be trapped here for sixteen months, so you could perfect your Mario Kart skills and build thousands of worlds in minecraft."

"Thank you so much, Mikey. But switches are like, hella expensive, you really didn't have to!" he plugged it in and I pulled off the controllers, before handing him one.

Mikey smiled, "It's really no big deal! Plus, I've been saving up for one anyway, and I thought you would put it to better use," this made me smile bigger than I ever have in a very long time.

"Bet I can get first in every race," I challenged and he stuck out his hand.

"You're on," he stated, before I shook his hand.

After four hours, yes, four hours of Mario Kart, Rose, my night nurse, told us that visiting hours were over.

"We'll be back here in the morning. Love you Daniella," Mom kissed me on the forehead.

"Love you too, Mom," I hugged her and Dad tightly.

"Thank you for the switch, Mikey."

"Of course Danny. Call anytime tonight if you need anything."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you too."

***

Five months later:

I tapped my foot against the side of the bed as Dr. Torres prepared me for my PET scan.

"Take a deep breath Danny. You'll be done before you know it," I nodded and swallowed my nerves quickly.

"I'm just scared that the tumors are going to be the same size or bigger. Oh God, what if they are bigger?" she gave my shoulder a comforting squeeze.

"Don't let your mind go there sweetheart."

"I just hate not knowing."

"I know."

After the PET was over, Karsen, my day nurse, brought me down to the cafeteria to meet with my family.

"How did the test go?" Mom asked.

"It was loud and uncomfortable, as always," I answered. Karsen brought over chicken noodle soup and handed me a piece of chocolate pie.

"You were a champion today, you deserve it," I smiled and shoved my fork though the top quickly.

"Thanks Karsen," I ate the heavenly pie quickly, then ate the soup. I forgot how much I missed food that wasn't soup and crackers.

Bzzzzzzzz...Bzzzzzzzz...Bzzzzzzzz

My phone was vibrating so much it was about to fall off the table. I peered over at the screen to see that Jackson was calling me. My finger hovered over the button to pick up, but I felt in my heart that the right decision was to send him to voicemail. I know I never told him goodbye before I moved, but I still feel the need to give him a taste of his own medicine. It's not like he's the one who's been dealing with a self-inflicted disease on a cellular level for the last seven months.

My mom peered over at my phone, "Is everything okay? Was it something important?"

"No, it was nothing."

****

That night, after visiting hours, I lacked the energy to watch TV or play on my beautiful, new switch. Instead, my brain wandered off, recalling the events of my Freshman year, prior to getting sick. Every first that I had with Jackson flooded to the surface. Tears slid down my cheeks and I pulled my phone from my sweater pocket. I unlocked the screen and opened my contacts list. I felt an urge to just clear past memories. It would make my life here in Florida much easier to bare. I clicked on favorites and my thumb hovered over his name. I clicked his contact and swallowed all the pain building up in my chest.

My phone read, "Are sure you want to delete this contact?" NO! Every fiber of my being was telling me not to do it. I closed my eyes and clicked yes. 

The End.