Remember Who Your Best Bus Buddy Is

Danny:

I jumped out of the car and ran into the house.

"Mikey!" he popped his head out of the kitchen and I crossed my arms, "Where were you last night?"

"I was out. I didn't feel like watching Zoe suck faces with Kendall all night,"

"Who were you with?"

"Some guys from football," I leaned against the counter and looked at him.

"Who?"

"Not Brody. I was with Glenn and Dylan," he answered and my shoulders relaxed, "I told you I wouldn't go back to that life," I gave him a hug.

"You missed a crazy party," I stated.

"I heard Brett attacked Kendall,"

"He did. Kendall was saying a bunch of homophobic comments about Brett's friend Cody."

"Good for Brett. Kendall needs to be knocked off his high horse," Mikey's brow furrowed, I nodded in agreement.

"I'm going to get ahead in my homework, so I can focus on the comp this weekend," I picked up my backpack and high fived Mikey.

"Have fun with that," he responded and I walked up stairs.

***

"Good morning!" Harry shouted, as we were running our second mile.

"Good morning sir!" we all shouted in unison.

"Today is the third comp of the season. What are you going to prove to me today?!" He shouted across the field. We were silent and all that was heard was our marching shoes hitting the track.

"I said...WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO PROVE TO ME TODAY?!" Harry shouted even louder than before.

"WE ARE GOING TO MARCH, PLAY, AND WIN!" we replied, the adrenaline fueling our enthusiasm. We finished the second mile, then dispersed for warm ups. I set my drum down on the 50 yard line and went to set down my backpack and water.

"Good morning, Danny," Jackson's voice made my heart skip a beat.

"Morning," he leaned down and kissed me softly.

"Oh god! Could you two be any more nauseating?" Mikey whined and picked up his quads.

"You have three minutes to get into the marching block. Do not make this unit run more laps!" Harry said and walked out to the center of the field with the metronome. I picked up my bass drum and Jackson gave me one last kiss, before we both ran to our lines in the marching block. We started with stretching block, then moved to diagonals, back, and forward line marching. My arms started to droop and I knew I would have dropped out in another ten minutes. Battery was pulled from the block by Nick, which was a sanctuary compared to marching. We warmed up and then played the opener with the pit. I pulled my drum off of my chest and took four big gushes from the gallon. I wiped the sweat from my head and sat down. A kiss on my cheek surprised me and my face turned bright red.

"My boyfriend is very protective, so I would run if I were you," I said sarcastically.

"Hi beautiful," Jackson sat down next to me and rubbed his face, "I hate marching block," I nodded.

"Hopefully, Harry stays in a better mood for the comp," I said in between blissful sips of water.

"Do you want to go out tonight?" Jackson helped me sit up and took my hands in his.

"What did you have in mind?" he shrugged and laid back on the turf.

"We could go bowling or mini golfing," laughing, I started putting on more sunscreen, "Don't laugh. I'm serious," he frowned and I covered my mouth to hide my smile.