When Life Give You Lemons

Jackson:

I stared at the circles on the carpet and gripped my arms tightly. I looked up every time the white double doors opened and each time my heart constricted in my chest. I looked back down at my marching shoes and laced my fingers together again. Her mom walked through the doors and gave me a kind smile. I stood up quickly and she motioned me to sit back down.

"Is she okay?" she sat down next to me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"She's stable,"

"Can I see her?"

"Of course sweetie," she stood up and I followed her behind the white, steel doors. She slid the door open and walked in slowly. My eyes met Danny's closed eyes quickly and my heart constricted in my chest. I looked back to Danny's mom, "Have they said what happened?"

"They took a lot of tests when we arrived and we've been waiting for about an hour," I nodded and sat down in the chair facing the right side of the bed. I grabbed her hand in mine and my throat constricted in pain.

"I'll leave you two. I should get something to eat. Do you want anything? Coffee?"

"Coffee would be great," she smiled and left the room.

"Hey Dan," I swallowed, but it didn't stop the tears from spilling down my cheeks, "I don't know if you can hear me, but I want you to know that I'm here and you're safe. Please wake up," I whispered and kissed her hand softly.

Hours passed and my eyes went from her face, to the machines, then back to her. My phone buzzed and I looked at the messages quickly.

Brett: How is she?

Me: They ran a bunch of tests and we are still waiting to hear back.

Brett: Alright, keep me posted.

I closed out of the chat and entered the one with Mike.

Mike: I'm picking up dinner. Chicken burrito okay?

Me: Yes. Thanks. See you in a few.

I clicked on the last chat with Chase and responded to him.

Chase: When do you want me to get you? I know visiting hours are almost over.

Me: Give me one more hour.

Chase: Sure. Have you heard anything?

Me: No. Still waiting on tests.

Chase: She'll be okay.

Me: I hope so.

I looked up from my phone and her dad smiled at me, "I'm glad you're here for her Jackson."

"I'm really worried about her."

"Me too, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. We should know more after the tests come back," I nodded in agreement and Mike walked through the door.

"I brought burritos."

"Thanks," I took mine, though my appetite was pretty much nonexistent.

"Thanks Mikey," Danny's dad slowly took a burrito from his son.

"I ran into the doctor outside. He said the tests will be done in an hour."

"That's great." Danny's dad sounded a little relieved, but with a sadness to it.

"Can you text me with the results? Chase is picking me up in thirty."

"Sure," we finished eating and Chase texted that he was coming up.

"Chase is on his way up," I threw away my trash and pulled on my backpack. I kissed Danny's hand and said a quick goodbye. I walked out of the ICU and headed over to the lobby. Chase waved me down and I walked towards the exit.

"What time do you want me to bring you back?"

"Eight is fine, unless they need me there earlier."

"She'll be okay," I nodded back, because I didn't know what else to say.

Loud ringing woke me quickly and I grabbed my phone.

"Hello?"

"Jackson I'm so sorry for waking you up this early, but we need you to come to the hospital ASAP. We got the test results and, well, we want to talk to you in person. She's awake and refused to let us tell you, unless you were here."

"I'm on my way. Wait, you said she was awake?"

"She is. She asked about you as soon as she woke up."

"I'll be right over," I hung up and rushed into Chase's room, "Chase," I shook him awake and he sat up quickly.

"What? Is she okay?"

"I need you to take me over to the hospital. They got the results and want to tell me in person. I don't know if she's okay,"

"Okay," he got up and grabbed his shoes and I changed into basketball shorts and a fresh t-shirt. I walked down stairs and out to Chase's car. He pulled out of the driveway and I bit my nails.

"Whatever it is, she will be okay. She's tough as nails Jackson."

"I hope so. I'm worried that it's more serious than I think it is. I have this horrible feeling in my gut."

"She'll need support no matter what it is."

"I know," he pulled up to the curb and I opened the door quickly.

"Let me know."

"I will," I shut the door and practically ran down the hall towards the elevators. I arrived on her floor and walked towards the ICU. I could see her dad in the distance and he saw me quickly.

"Hi," he gave me a quick hug and I pulled away.

"I want to see her," he nodded and I could tell by the redness and puffiness in his eyes, that she wasn't okay. I arrived at her room and opened the door quickly.

"Dan," she looked up and adjusted the oxygen tube across her face.

"Hey," she said back weakly. I grabbed her hand and she smiled.

"What did the tests say?"

"I...," her eyes welled up with tears and I kissed her cold hand.

"Whatever it is, we will make it through this. Together."

"Mom. I can't. I need you to tell him," she sobbed and I looked over at her mom.

"Are you sure?" she nodded and her mom walked over to me and took my other hand in hers.

"We went over the tests with the doctor and," she paused and wiped under her eyes.

"And?" my hands were shaking.

"Danny has Thyroid Cancer."