Promised Lies

Guava

   It wasn't until the dragonet's of prophecy went to spy on their guardians when the 'dismissal bell' went off, thankfully for the last time. I was honestly surprised how other tribes thought about us and it was mildly infuriating if I might add. Ash helped me with all of Audrey's stuff and we walked outside to rock pathways is the way I would put it. There were also big funny-shaped black and yellow shiny bees that just sat there.

   Ash then pulled me to one of them and a retractable door folded to let us in. An older scavenger than the 'teacher' was in a seat at the front and greeted us. Ash replied cheerfully before rushing to one of the seats.

   "Hey, you want the window?" Ash asked.

   "Sure," I answered and I sat down on the waxy seat. Ash sat next to me and I looked down at the phone that was in my hand.

   "Well, that's another way you two are different," Ash whispered as she looked at my right hand with the 'phone'.

   "What do you mean?" I asked.

   "Audrey's left-handed," Ash whispered again trying to keep us at a hushed 'volume'. Wow, I'm learning a lot of new words.

   "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked before switching the phone to my left hand.

   "Audrey uses her left hand to write, use her phone, it's her dominant hand."

   "Oh, so how's that going to work if I'm right-handed?" I asked.

   "Hmm, I could teach you, and don't worry Audrey and I are neighbors so I can call it a sleepover. Also, don't worry about her parents let me do the talking and by the end of the week you'll be able to talk like her." I gave her a weird look.

   "Why do you care so much about how I speak?" I questioned.

   "Let me grab my phone," Ash said as she reached into her bag's pocket and grabs her phone. "Now, let's see. Here we go," Ash whispered again before putting the 'speaker' to my ear. A voice came through it was the same tone as the voice that came from my mouth since I've gotten here but it sounded entirely different. It sounded somewhat soft but the way she pronounced words was different and it sounded kind of nice to listen to.

   "So, what are we going to do about my voice?" I asked the rumbling of the 'bus' turned into a roar as it moved.

   "I don't know maybe act like you lost your voice," was Ash's response.

   "But we are going to tell them, right?!" I asked as the bus stopped and a few scavengers exited the 'bus'.

   "We might have to tell them sometime. Maybe tomorrow or...scratch that we are telling them tomorrow. I don't think I could sneak you past one night," as she finished the 'bus' was rolling again.

   "What are her parents like?" We continued with me asking questions and her explaining until we stopped near a line of houses near the road. The place was also covered in trees I've never seen before.

   Getting off we walked on the flat stone to a row of houses each one had slight variations but looked very similar. Some scavengers that had gotten off at our stop entered them. Remembering the wars I've heard from history the sense of peace just felt like a fresh breath of air.

   We finally got to Audrey's house which was kinda bland compared to the others since the other houses had very well kept gardens. While the one in front of Audrey's was barren with a single tree I've never seen before.

   "Come on, you can gawk even more in Audrey's room," Ash said before motioning to the door. She took out a ridged metal thing on a ring with a cute seawing replica on it. She shoved it into the door turned it and opened the door.

   It took a lot in me to not look at everything. Some light brown things filled with different items made out of glass. Ash had come back from the back of the house and pulled me up a more fluffy version of the steps on the bus. Then, Ash opened one of the doors and dragged me in.

   Although a couple of more light brown thingys were on the floor, a large sturdy shelf, a desk that looked a little weird, and a weird-looking bed.

   "I'm guessing this is where she sleeps?" I questioned as I looked through one of the light brown thingys on the ground.

   "Yes, but I don't think you should rummage through her things," Ash said before looking at the blank walls of the room.

   "But she isn't here right and I'm technically her, right," curiosity was getting the better of me. I opened the box to find even more of the books Ash was talking about. I took out a couple one with a very imposing ocean cover with a single scavenger holding a claw and the other was simple with a pair of hands holding a red fruit of some kind.

   Ash looked down at the books before excusing herself. Since I was alone I decided to explore a little. Walking across the room I went to a black rectangle object on a stand in the back of the room and I picked up the object in front of it. I fiddled with it before pressing a button and the black window popped to life with different pictures of animals and landscapes. I gawked at them until Ash came back with her hair somewhat lower but still tied back.

   "Aw I guess the TV works," Ash replied her dark eyes darting to the moving pictures. Ash came over and I handed her the rectangle contraption. She took it put it down next to her and grabbed a smaller silver version that was on the stand and pressed a button.

   After pressing buttons a few times we watched the 'TV' where pictures moved which had funny and amazing things that scavengers did along with different animals as well. After a few laughs, the front 'door' opened.