Floral Interperatations

Audrey Brookes

   After a few tries of me trying to tree glide and failing Peacock had me take the walkway. Let's just say I wish I could stuff cotton into my ears since Hibiscus and Peacock kept arguing while walking to the healer's bungalow.

   Once we reached the bungalow they actually settled down, Hibiscus went to sort herbs and Peacock went somewhere else red dappling her emerald green tail. Following Hibiscus around I look back around. Glory, the Glory landed with Jambu right beside her. Chapter 6 from The Hidden Kingdom was unfolding before my very eyes.

   Some of my scales were starting to go yellow and pink over the light turquoise that I've been able to keep. I then remembered that I shouldn't even dare interact with them because of a book paradox or something. A shiver went down my back but still tried to keep the yellow and pink. "Hey, leek you mind helping out a little over here?"

   "Uh...yes, ma'am."

   "Ok, I want you to go and try and fetch me a few plants that look like this," Hibiscus handed me a few different leaves, flowers, and roots. I identified a couple but, I had no clue where to look. Purple and orange painted my wing webbing as I looked at Hibiscus. She sighed and said she'd be back in a minute.

   A few minutes pass as I sat in the bungalow a bunch of Rainwings were gathered around the dragonets. Some of the younger ones were trying to imitate Clay's scales as everyone was talking. Watching them was about as entertaining as a fantasy drama with all the yelling in a relatively quiet rainforest.

   My scales reflected my amusement until the dragonets were off to see Queen Magnificent. Just as they left Hibiscus arrived with shorter rainwing next to her with light green and blue scales. The smaller rainwing had a somewhat tranquil face when Hibiscus spoke, " Ok, this scrawny little guy here um..."

   " Bamboo," the smaller male rainwing said in a very nonchalant tone of voice.

   " Right, and he'll be showing you where some of our herbs grow and how they are harvested. Once you guys are done you are to report back and help with patients and sorting herbs, understand?" I quirked a brow at her as confusion painted my scales. Then I looked over at Bamboo who looked just as confused as me. Bamboo signaled for me to follow. We had gotten about out of earshot of Hibiscus before Bamboo started making conversation with subtle questions here and there.

   This surprised me a little as Bamboo seemed like a smooth talker but not to be rude, I complied with his questions. He also made a little comment on my accent but it was completely understandable, as they had never heard of a British accent or what Britain was on that matter.

   "So, what was your name again?" My ears pricked up a bit but bit back at revealing my real name. So, I looked around and tried to think of a name off the top of my head.

   "Hyacinth...umm," I hesitated for a moment getting my composure back and clearing my throat, "My name is Hyacinth."

   "You stuttered," Bamboo said in response as he leapt onto a tree and crawled onto an overhead branch. "And Hibiscus said you had a problem with your wings," I raised a brow and tried not to let red show on my scales. Hibiscus may have been smart to come up with that excuse but it hurt a bit on the pride.

   "I don't like talking much of it, thank you very much," I tried not to put poison in those words but they came out harsher than anticipated.

   "Alright, sorry I asked," Bamboo mumbled small orange spots appeared along the scales close to his spine as he hopped to the next tree in front of him.

   "Bamboo, wait!" Looking around Bamboo disappeared I sighed moving along, lily green and a greyer blue painted my wing membrane. Not knowing what to do I stopped after a while and tried climbing into one of the trees around the walkway. I got to a pretty good height before turning around to survey the village. When I came face to face with a Boa Constrictor, I screamed before losing my grip and balance. I frantically flapped my wings until a force pulled me sharply away from the fall.

   I felt a big thump and then felt the unwrapping of limbs. I shook myself off and found Bamboo standing not that far away. He winces as he tries to fold his wing back into place. I felt so bloody helpless at that point, all because of a bloody snake, then light purple and pink swirls flowed across my scales. " I'm sorry about that...I've just never seen a snake that close up before."

   Bamboo finally looked back up with a questioning look but sighs, " It's ok, and I guess it's also my fault leaving you alone," as he finishes lavender speckles flecked the scales along his light brown and green wings.

   We continued finally getting to where the herbs are collected. Bamboo then helped me harvest them. When we were done, we trekked back to the healers' Bungalow when Bamboo got to a very interesting subject.

   "I don't know if this is true or not but I've heard some Rainwings were going missing. I know I've only heard that from a couple of friends who talked to Mangrove and thought he was crazy." Bamboo's scales barely changed which probably meant he had no real thoughts about it.

   I furrowed my scaly brows as light purple prickled at my frills, "Why are you telling me this Bamboo?"

    "It's more of a thing that got me a little worried I mean seriously those dragons could be anywhere," we both sighed as I responded.

    "I mean someone can't play hide and seek for three months without someone seeing them, right?" The purple in my frills turns a deeper purple as I realize he didn't say anything about time.

   Bamboo gave a little chuckle before saying, "I guess but you probably know more than I do if it's been three months." I chuckled as well to try and clear the anxiety from me as I asked a couple of questions about himself.

   "My job? I'm actually part of the gathering patrol this afternoon but Hibiscus pulled me aside to help you out," he gave a soft half-smile before the loud groans of a Seawing in pain came into earshot. I gulped as the description of the sting wasn't entirely pretty.