"Why is today so Violent?"

A/N Hi, so in this chapter, there is a reference to American history which may be graphic to a younger audience. If you still want to continue reading skip paragraphs 13 and 14.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Once we got to this 'locker' which was shown to me by the ever so gracious Ash the Scavenger. The 'locker' was a beige color and creaked when it was opened. The inside was pretty orderly and tidy. Ash grabbed something from a bag that was hanging from and pulled out a container that had a peacock feather design. There was also something that looked like another Rainwing dangling from the side. Wait...I looked down at the weird rectangle in my arms again and realized it was the same rainwing. Seriously, who the heck is that?

  Ash then had me grab the box by a sky blue handle that was rather squishy in my 'hand' as Ash described the appendage earlier. Ash then closed the door which gave a loud scraping noise. We walked down the passage again to a very open space called 'the cafeteria' which is where a whole bunch of scavengers gathered to eat, "Um...Guava can you sit over there so I can get my lunch?" She pointed to an empty table in the back.

  I shrugged and replied with, "Ok but I'm guessing I shouldn't talk."

  "I never said that," Ash retorted. "All I'm saying is that I'm not sure how people will react knowing you're a different person and from a different world and all."

  I sighed before replying with an 'Ok' before trekking to the table she pointed out. I placed the smooth rectangles down in front of me. Then I placed the box on top of them and undid the 'zipper' that made a zip sound. The contents inside the box was a metal cylinder, a large packet with a sunrise on it that smelled sweet, a squishy square was also inside with a dark brown and light brown spread on it, and a couple of white packets were also in the box as well. Since no one was looking I carefully tore open the package and put the substance on my tongue which tasted really sweet. That's when Ash walked up to the table giving me an amused smirk.

  "Umm...Guava...Audrey, why are you eating straight sugar from a sugar packet?"

  "Ahh...so that's what these sweet rocks are," and with a satisfied smile I followed up with "fascinating," my tone filled with awe. Ash looked like she was about to lose it placing down her tray of food.

  "You know it would taste better with tea." I then figured the bigger packet was probably tea.

  "Really, I want to try," I probably sounded like a dragonet excited about a new game.

  "Ok, I'll go get the hot water and just eat your sandwich." Ash got up and I handed her the metal cylinder from my box. She walked over to a giant metal thing and when she pulled at something and hot water poured out. I stared in astonishment at Ash as she came back with the water. She returned sat down and helped me with the tea. After the tea was done I took a few sips it a little sweet for my taste but it was still good. The sandwich was also good who knew peanuts and hazelnut would taste so good together.

  Another one of those dreaded 'bells' went off and we were back into the corridors of the 'school'. Ash helped me swap out binders and said we had at least three classes together but one I had to go in alone. This alarmed me a little but she said not to be worried since the class I was going into alone was watching an 'educational video' on the 'Civil War' more specifically a battle called 'Gettysburg'. I had no idea about it and there was a paper to make sure we paid attention.

  Luckily, Audrey already finished it and the essay that came with it. Ash then commented that Audrey works herself almost like a 'mule' at times and worries about her. By then we had already gotten to class the classes went by rather quickly and at times I asked Ash a couple of questions which she answered. That's until the 'history class' came along at least that's what Ash described it as. Before walking in, she told me to look in the binder at a light blue tab and that's where the paper for the video was and to turn it in at the end of class and that my desk was in the second row closest to the window. I nodded before walking in, the walls were covered in maps and of scavengers all over the place.

  I stared a little wide-eyed for a second before heading to my seat. The rest of the rows filled up and they did a sort of a review and what they had watched yesterday. Everyone mostly looked bored and let the 'teacher' drone on before turning on a 'projector' I looked amazed at what I was seeing before paying attention to the board. The 'documentary' that was being played was one of the worst battles in 'U.S. history'. I was wondering what the cracking sound was and what was going on.

  When I heard the word dead I then realized this is what the other tribes must be going through. I don't know why I just felt helpless as I see pictures of unmoving bodies on the screen. I had never lost a patient under my care before but tried to mimic everyone else's body language and facial expression. We kept going through the 'video' stopping at points and everyone else writes down something related to what just happened. They kept talking about battle tactics which made no sense to me I started to drift off and tried thinking back on my rainforest life blocking out what was going on in front of me. I even started to miss Peacock's pestering a little more and Hibiscus' little pointers while scouring for medical supplies.

  Once it was over a sense of relief washed over me until there was another review I tried not to slump over and sigh. We reviewed more of the questions and when the bell rang people either left with the paper while others put it in a shiny interwoven basket with a piece of paper with writing on it. I just put the paper in the basket and walk out. I walked a little down the hall until Ash sped walked over to me she told me we were supposed to go to a class called 'study hall.' I looked at her weirdly and she said it wasn't a class. Only a class that makes you study and do your work in school.

  I pointed out that I had no work that needed to be done. She thought for a moment and just pulled me along to the class. I wondered what she was so giddy about but followed along. I noticed that it was the room I woke up in. I didn't know how to feel. Was I never going to see the Rainwing village again? Am I stuck here? The questions rolled through my head like Peacock peeling pears.

  Ash came back with a pair of clunky things that went over someone's ears. She talked about how to pass the time the teacher would let Audrey listen to books on her phone which was in my binder in a pouch that kept it secured. Ash had me open the binder and take it out she plugged the clucky head thingy into the 'phone' and placed it on my head. I pressed the button on the bottom and the black onyx screen lit up showing the same rainwing from the book and the dangly thing from lunch.

  I'm still wondering who this dragon was and why she was everywhere. That's until I pressed the button again and I see the same rainwing again with a pink rainwing. Although not in proportion I recognize the dragon as Jambu I had seen him helping a couple of dragonets a couple of times but that was it. Although, Peacock kept insisting that I should talk to him on occasion but I'd usually wave her off about it.

  I snapped back into reality, well the reality I was in right now helping me find something to listen to while she worked. She picked one out and my eyes widen it was a mudwing on the cover. She gave me back the 'phone after pressing a button that a voice read. I just sat down as Ash sifted through papers sometimes staying at one and writing something down. I went back to the story which had a dragon at the mercy of Princess Burn.

  'Why is today so violent?' I thought as I drifted along into the story.