7 minutes

It was Christmas break during your 5th year at Hogwarts

It was Christmas break during your 5th year at Hogwarts. You decided not to go home for the holiday so your best friend Poppy wouldn't be alone.

The castle was mostly empty. Only a handful of kids from each house remained. Hufflepuff had the least of any of the 4 houses; they were homebodies, you couldn't blame them for wanting to see their families for the holidays.

Currently, the remaining 5th and 6th year Hufflepuffs sat around the fire place in the common room.

"Ugh I'm bored!" spat Ernie Macmillan.

"There's only so much to do in an empty castle" Megan Jones uttered.

"Oh don't be ridiculous, there's plenty to do" Wayne Bostock smiled and wiggled his eyebrows, nudging his girlfriend Leanne.

Everyone sounded off their disgust, some pretending to puke, others theatrically gagging.

"We could play a round of exploding snap? Or gobstones?" Poppy chimed in.

"Merlin Poppy, we're not first years. What are you going to suggest next? A civil game of wizard's chess?" you laughed.

Everyone laughed and Poppy rolled her eyes and playfully shoved you.

"Hey! I happen to like wizard's chess!" Cedric Diggory chimed in.

Laughing, Ernie shouted, "yeah and that's why the only girl you've kissed is your mum!" Cedric blushed.

The common room filled with everyone's laughter. Your cheeks flushed red at Ernie's comment.

Nobody seemed to remember, but Cedric had kissed you during an innocent game of spin the bottle your second year.

Since then, nothing really exciting happened between the two of you. You remained friends and there was always small amounts of flirting between you two, but nothing too exciting.

That didn't mean you didn't have any feelings towards him though.

There was no doubt that he was attractive, but you found his personality inviting and his morals promiscuously well held. In you eyes, he was the perfect guy. A great mix of humor and responsibility, as well as athleticism and astuteness. He checked every box.

But of course, you'd never tell anyone that you thought that. Cedric was just an above average student in your year in your house. You weren't even sure if you considered each other friends; at most you were acquaintances.

The sound of Poppy's shrill shriek interrupted your thoughts.

"No! Absolutely not!" she protested. You were confused, you must've missed part of the conversation when you were zoned out.

You leaned over to Tamsin Applebee and whispered, "wait, what did I miss?" She shook her head laughing. The common room was filling up with multiple conversations happening at once. They were full of argument, whispers, and excitement.