Rumors

In a school like Hogwarts, news travels fast

So when someone had heard that Cedric Diggory had his eyes on a certain unnamed girl, the rumors spread like wildfire. 

Even the portraits seemed to know about his little crush. 

At first, Cedric was panicked; he hadn't planned for anyone to find out. It was a meaningless little endeavor, as he kept it to himself and continued to admire her from afar. That was the expanse of his initial intentions. 

But of course, as a teenager, any business you plan to remain secret just happens to reach every other teenager in a mile's radius. 

Once he heard whispers of people questioning who the girl was, he was less tense about it. He didn't care as long as nobody found out who it was; he'd feel absolutely awful if she got dragged into this against her will. 

Soon the whispers of "who?" faded into whispers of "that's who", yet Cedric always smiled hearing them because each and every one of them was wrong. 

It was sort of funny to him, seeing all the girls in school react when he entered a room, or answered a question in class, or even made general eye contact with them. 

They all thought it was them, and they all thought incorrect. 

Surprisingly, none of the rumors he had heard after a whole week had been right. 

But he knew that the girl he fancied wouldn't play into any of these rumors, and people would assume her personality was least likely to attract a guy like Cedric. 

Again, they were wrong. 

One of the many things that Cedric liked about Y/N  Y/L/N is that she stayed out of all the drama. You know besides her Y/H/C hair and how it framed her face, and her Y/E/C eyes that would stare off into space during the long, monotonous lectured in History of Magic, and her kindness that many people just brushed past, it was pleasing to Cedric and he envied that sliver of normalcy.

He himself was surprised that he'd taken a liking to her; he'd never really noticed her before that day in the courtyard. 

Y/N had been sitting with a friend in the quad during a free period when Cedric happen to stumble across them. He'd been running from a particular 3rd year trying to force him into taking a box of sweets that he obviously assumed had been poisened with a love potion. 

She noticed his panic and called his attention, waving him over to where they sat. Telling him to sit down behind them, the two girls sat up straight and scooted closer together, shielding Cedric's body from anybody in front of them. 

Less than a minute later, an innocent looking Ravenclaw skipped into the courtyard. She looked at Y/N and her friend, her eyes asking where the boy had gone.