Chapter 49

Scott drove his Mustang into downtown Hibbert's Corner unusually slowly, as he was being followed by the merry band of sasquatches, then parked along the curb near where the others were assembled. He stepped out of his car and smiled when he saw Zed sitting on the curb, surrounded by the other two vampires, Bernie, and Jane. Bernie was overjoyed when he saw his crew, who had all survived and were none the worse for wear. He bounded up to them, hugging them and congratulating them for having triumphed. Dawn got out as well and embraced her sasquatch friends. Scott walked over to Zed, who rose from the curb, the blanket wrapped around him. He threw his arms around Scott and embraced him.

"Oh man," Zed said, "thank you. Thank you for saving me."

"It's all good, Zed. You woulda done the same for me."

"And it doesn't matter that I'm a werewolf and you're a vampire?"

"Hell no! You're my friend, and that's what counts."

Jeremiah then approached Scott. "I am glad you survived, my friend. And what's more, I wish to apologize for the tone I took earlier with you. I was angry. It was wrong of me to behave in such a manner."

Scott embraced the big vampire. "I deserved it, big guy. How the hell can I do this life without your wisdom and guidance?"

Elizabeth cleared her throat. "Don't even think about hugging me. I'm still pissed at you. Only now, I'm pissed at you for being right."

"Well, would it sweeten the pot if I told you who the mole at the House was?"

"What? Seriously? How did you find out?"

"Direct confession. Right from an outlaw vampire. And I don't think she was lying, at least not this time."

"Was her name Natasha?"

"How did you know?"

"Lucky guess. So, who's the traitor?"

"Adam."

"I told you it could be him!" Jeremiah said. "And did you listen? No, you wished to blame Phaedra who, it turns out, is completely innocent!"

"Shove it, old man," Elizabeth groused. "Anyway, you're right. It's confirmation. Now, to sign out a death warrant. Thanks, Scott."

"You could thank me by being nicer to me, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth thought about it for the briefest moment. "Naw, that ain't gonna happen."

"It was worth a try."

As Elizabeth started to head for her Hummer, she suddenly stopped. "Wait a minute! I hear helicopters!"

"What?" Jane said. "I don't hear anything!"

"Yeah," Scott agreed, "and I also am hearing some large vehicles on the road, heading this way. Sorry, Jane, it's a vampire thing."

But soon, an all-black UH60 Blackhawk roared low over the town, out of which ropes dropped and black-suited commandos fast-roped down. An older but equally black Huey landed at the opposite end of town, and as the commandos began securing the town two men jumped out of the Huey and walked toward the group. One of them was a distinguished looking grey-haired gentleman, wearing a long trench coat and a bespoke suit. The other, Scott recognized as Detective Kevin Ellis of the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

"Who are these guys?" Jane asked.

"These," Jeremiah answered, "are Ministry."