Chapter 47

Scott returned to the Hummer, carrying the hat box. "Here's how we take Fenrir down."

"With an old lady's hat?" Elizabeth asked.

"No! It's not a hat!" Scott opened the box and pulled out the long silken cord.

"With a long ribbon?" Dawn asked. "That doesn't look like it will hold a poodle, let alone a giant wolf!"

"This is Gleipnir. It was forged by the dwarves, and it's impossibly strong. This is the leash of Fenrir. Whoever has this can control the great wolf."

"And you are the one who has it!" Jeremiah exclaimed.

"See? I'm not a total waste!"

"So, what's the plan?" Jane asked.

"Well, Fenrir is coming this way. I see a couple of buildings here that are fairly tall: that old bank building is three stories, and the old hotel right next door is four. Both are old brick buildings, probably dating to the time when they made things to last. They should withstand an impact, even from a 30-foot-long wolf. Now, all we need is for someone to act as bait and stand down in the alley between the buildings. Then, I'll need someone to go on top of the bank, and another on top of the hotel."

"But both buildings are locked!" Jane said. "They've been locked ever since both business closed down ages ago! How are you going to get someone to the top levels without going up the stairs?"

Jeremiah smiled. "Jane, I am not sure if you are aware, but we are vampires."

"I'm not," Dawn said.

"So, you all are vampires." Jane looked at Jeremiah, Elizabeth, and Scott. "But you're 'nice' vampires, right?"

"Oh, god," Elizabeth snapped. "I swear, the next person who calls me a 'nice vampire' is gonna get their lungs ripped out!"

"Well," Scott said, "Jeremiah and I are what you'd call 'nice', I guess. And Elizabeth, well, she's a really grumpy vampire."

"Anyway!" Jeremiah said, "back to our plan! I will go up on the hotel, and Elizabeth?"

"I still think we shouldn't take chances," Elizabeth replied. "And I still think I can take that thing out with the Barrett."

"He's not a thing," Scott said. "He's my friend. And what did I say about 'taking him out', huh?"

"Uh, guys?" Jane mumbled.

"Well, like I said, your friend is a monster," Elizabeth said.

"He is now. But we can change him back. I know we can."

"Uh, guys?" Jane said again.

"Scott is right," Jeremiah said. "We should try all means at our disposal to take Fenrir down without collateral damage, and try to preserve the life of Scott's friend!"

"Uh, guys!" Jane shouted.

"What?" Elizabeth, Jeremiah, and Scott all asked in unison.

They noticed Jane pointing toward the southwest. Across the street, in front of Rex's Country Cafe, was a pack of werewolves. They had ceased pursuing other prey, and were now focusing on the assembled group of vampires and humans. Without further ado, Elizabeth picked up her SCAR and aimed the grenade launcher at the werewolves.

"Cover your ears," she warned as she pulled the trigger on the M203, launching a round at the werewolves. The grenade struck with effect, tearing the pack asunder, throwing werewolf limbs and organs everywhere, while simultaneously blowing a hole in the front of the café, sending shards of glass and wood flying.