Nina Jake II

Part dos as promised :)

•••

The next day was a haze. Nina's feelings were so many and so mixed that she couldn't tell which was which and it was extremely exhausting, not to talk about frustrating. On top of that, Will was nowhere to be seen. The night before he had told her that he was leaving for camp again but later that night she had gotten a long text saying many things, one of them being "I'll see you at school tomorrow". Yet here she was, at school, and he was not. Thinking about the night before just caused her already messy feelings to start to boil, becoming completely inseparable so she tried not to.

Several times she had called him and she had sent double the amount of texts but she had not heard a word from him all day. A part of her blamed his weird phone. A bronze square, unlike any phone she'd ever seen. Every time she had tried asking Will about it, he had changed the subject faster than lightning(A/N: McQueen). Eventually, she just gave up.

During a specifically boring class, Nina began to get extremely worried and started to consider skipping the last few periods to go to check up on Will and see if he's home and alright.

Just as she had decided to do just that, a bing interrupted her train of thoughts and she sat back down in her chair. It was a text. From Will. The relief was so sudden and so huge that her mind barely could take in the content of the text:
Nina... I'm sorry for... blah blah blah... camp... meet me at pizza place again after school? Please?

Her heart began to race and suddenly the school day didn't feel a billion hours long.

- Time skip brought to you by my incredibly painful sunburn that may or may not be the death of me -

When the bell finally rang after her last class, Nina threw her almost empty backpack over her shoulder and ran out into the afternoon sunlight. A few blocks away from the pizza place she had to slow down to a fast walk. Her endurance was pretty amazing but she didn't want to be all sweaty and out of breath as she met up with her best friend/crush/possible future boyfriend. She could feel her face start to heat up just at the thought of it.

Before stepping through the glass door, she quickly brushed a strand of her black hair behind her ear and tried to straighten her t-shirt. With a deep breath, she walked into the pizza place and her eyes fell immediately on their usual spot where Will sat laughing and talking to- wait. What? At first sight she had thought that Will was all alone, laughing by himself but as she looked back at the corner, she noticed another figure. In her spot.

He had messy black hair, almost darker than her own and eyes to match. He was laughing too, and it looked oddly out of place. That might have had something to do with his black t-shirt and jeans or the pilot jacket made of leather. Or maybe the frightening silver ring on his finger picturing a skull. A very realistic one too. The boy seemed thin and not very tall, but it was hard to tell when he was sitting relaxed, leaning onto the backrest(A/N: Is that the word for the back of a chair? I really don't trust google translate).

As Nina approached them, she noticed that the boy seemed to attract shadows. They were darker and heavier around him then around anyone she'd ever met or seen and if she turned her head slightly to the side so that she only could see him from the corner of her eye, he almost melted into them. In other words, this guy was creepy.

When he turned his head to look at her, a chill traveled down her spine. Yet somehow, she was not afraid of him at all. She was however a little jealous. He was in her spot after all and seemed to make Will very happy. Not that that was a bad thing, she wanted him to be happy. Just, preferably with her.

Will smiled broadly and greeted her while pulling an extra chair to their small table meant for two. Nina sat down and for a moment the atmosphere was filled with an awkward tension. Then the creepy -skeleton-ring-and-scary-eyes-who-melted-into-the-shadows-guy cleared his throat expectantly and Will seemed to remember that his two friends didn't know each other.
"Oh right, sorry" he began but was interrupted by a waiter dressed in black and white, offering them some menus. They politely declined and asked to order just drinks instead. When the creepy-skeleton-ring-and-scary-eyes-who-melted-into-the-shadows-guy had ordered his drink, Will spoke up. "You sure you don't want a happy meal with that, Nico?
A smile played on his lips and the creepy-skeleton-ring-and-scary-eyes-who-melted-into-the-shadows guy, apparently named Nico, got an amused glint in his eyes and the corner of his mouth twitched as if he was trying his best not to smile. Nina was completely clueless as to what was going on. Inside jokes? Great. The level of jealousy rose even higher and she had to remind herself that she actually had no reason to dislike this guy, Nico.

"So you're the famous Nico, huh?" Nina asked. It was the guy Will would never shut up about. The guy that seemed to be closer friends with Will than Nina could ever dream about being. That didn't exactly make her feel better but she tried her best not to have any prejudice. If he was such good friends with Will, he can't be at all that bad. No, she had to treat him kindly. She forced herself into smiling.

They introduced themselves to each other and Will said he knew Nico from camp(although Nina already knew that of course) but that was it. They kept up a good conversation and at first Nico was very quiet but eventually he joined in and after a while Nina didn't have to pretend to like Nico. She genuinely thought he was interesting and she hoped he started to feel the same about her. Nina found herself thinking that maybe they could become good friends in the future. The smile was no longer forced. It was now warm and friendly and she was really enjoying herself. At some points, the jealousy flared again but it was starting to fade.

Not long after, Nina asked about the whole leaving for camp because of an emergency thing. Nico looked curiously at Will as he stuttered, trying to explain. He had not gotten far into the explanation when another waiter came up to them. She held out a menu for them to take. Thinking it was a coincidence or a misunderstanding between the staff, the trio explained that they had already ordered. The waiter did not seem very happy. Her lips were strained and pulled downwards and her eyes were furrowed into a deep frown. Without a word, she turned and started to walk back into the kitchen. The three of them watched her retreat and they were all looking when the odd thing happened. Nina was not sure if what she saw was real but it seemed like the lady... glitched? Not the lady herself but for a split second her aura kinda of flickered. Thick, white smoke curled around her. Then it was gone.

From beside Nina she heard Will draw a surprised breath and she turned back to them just in time to see them exchange a look.

•••

A/N: This part originally got too long(like 4000 words heh)so I'll post a part three in like a sec heheh

Part tres has some actiooon

Sowwy :(