Her face turned as she released another sigh, this time a bit heavier than the last one that escaped her lips, indicating she had something to say.

Well, if she wanted to tackle her problem, she was going to start with the area that confused her the most. "Dawn." the word broke out of her mouth softly, and she watched as the other lady turned her gaze back to her. "What do you think about a guy asking a girl out without saying anything about how he feels for her?"

A second of silence came from Dawn's part as her eyelids stretched with the most unexpecting laugh. "Seriously? That's why you have been so moody? Boy problems?" She exclaimed, and her tone sounded more teasing than accusing.

"Are you going to answer that or not?" Maria grumbled, crossing her arms as she fought back an eye roll.

Dawn gave another playful smirk as her expression morphed into naughtiness. "Is this about Ted? Have you two finally decided to stop pretending to be just friends?" Her eyebrows wiggled with the last part, and Maria immediately snapped her head towards her in disbelief.

"What??" Her cerulean-colored eyes were almost bulging out of their sockets

in sheer incredulity at those words. Maria was used to getting teased by Dawn but she might have gone over the top with this one.

A moment passed between the two friends as they both studied their expressions, each wondering if the other was joking or not.

"It's not him?" Dawn's voice softened in surprise as she shook her head slightly.

"Of course not." Her voice cracked at her lost word in a struggle to keep herself from screaming it out for better understanding. "Why would you even think that way?" She asked after composing her nerves and was still utterly taken aback at the other woman's words.

Dawn shrugged, her black eyes flickering up to meet Maria's briefly before turning back to focus on the steering wheel. "Well, I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks like that. I mean, you two haven't dated anyone in years, act like best friends, and yet do things that couples do." She explained, avoiding eye contact.

This time, Maria couldn't stop her lashes from fluttering furiously as she stared in a complete daze at her friend. Did she hear that correctly? They were supposed to be talking about her complicated attractions to her patient and not an absurd topic about having a thing with her best friend.

"Act like couples?" She echoed faintly after a while, staring at Dawn as though there was a hole in her forehead.

"Well, everything except sleeping with each other, and even that, I am not so sure..." The other woman muttered, finally tearing her gaze away from the road to look back at the speechless blonde.

Maria settled her gaze on the other woman for so long that in the end, her nonplussed emotions slowly melted into amusement, causing her to release a laugh that sounded more genuine than intended.

Dawn seemed caught off guard by this reaction, watching the ripples of laughter coming from the lady's pink lips. "Oh, now, a joke about you having sex with your best friend is all I need when next I need a smile on your face?" She joked in return and couldn't fight back a chuckle herself.

"Be my guest." Was all Maria could respond with after calming down, her expression returning to normal, though still smiling. "But c'mon, we don't date because the right one has obviously not shown up yet." She said with emphasis.

The dark-haired beauty frowned slightly at her statement, raising one of her brows. "So, this guy you are talking about, is he the right one?"

At this question, Maria chewed her lower lip tightly without having an answer to that. "I don't know...?" she murmured.