~ 23 ~

Maria passed through the silent hallway, entirely drained from the series of arguments she had to put up with for the day's appointment. It was her second week coming to the Stanleys' home and by now, there were some particular spots in the house that she could go to without asking for directions.

"I hope he is getting better," a voice echoed across the glittering space, making her steps slow down at the familiarity of the words. It sounded rich with a deep quality. Maria was sure she has heard that voice from somewhere.

The voice grew nearer, accompanied by elegant footsteps of clicking heels, giving away the fact there was more than one person approaching. Her mystery came to an end when two ladies showed up from the right corner, turning out to be Hilary and Ashley.

Maria's pace went to a complete halt, and it took a couple of seconds before the chattering women noticed her presence.

"Oh, Doctor Patterson. We were just talking about you!"The usual cheerful tone of Hilary rang out, her two gloved hands waving excitedly in the direction Maria's gaze followed.

Maria managed to smile back, not wanting the last happy energy in her to be completely ruined by the second's lady appearance. She was not the type to hold grudges but the spiteful words Ashley had spat at her a few days ago were still penetrating her mind like acid, slowly eating into her nerves, and causing a painful knot inside her stomach. She believed avoiding people like her was the best way of handling things.

"Oh, hi, Hilary." Her lips formed into a genuine smile, returning the hand gesture.

"Is Jayden asleep? Or busy? He has a visitor." Hilary proceeded to ask, her lashes batting with curiosity.

"Well...he is not asleep." Maria tried her best to smile again as she responded but it was clear her effort failed terribly. It was obvious who the visitor was, and she didn't want to think too much about it. "I don't know if he is exactly free but you can still get his attention." She added.

Hilary smiled at her, looking pleased with her reply. "Thank you, doctor." Her voice sounded sweet and charming. "Sounds good, right, Ash?" She added, her brown eyes darting to the dark-haired lady standing beside her.

Ashley responded with a snort, an answer that didn't sound befitting enough to Hilary's words. "Hey, don't act like you don't know me." She retorted, her lips curled in a sneaky smile, her gaze confronting Maria's. "Because I do. You are the woman who came with Jayden to my party the other day, right?" Her smile grew smugger. "I just found out you are Jay-Jay's doctor. So, why were you acting as though I was lying about you being an escort or fake girlfriend or something?" She added, her tone hinting mockery.

Maria's face tensed at the last words she heard before she found her fingers curling into a tight fist at her side. But once again, she wouldn't let those cheesy words get into her skin. She decided to ignore the petty lady and leave but Hilary's words had a way of suspending her tracks.

"Escort?" Hilary's brows jumped, showing clear confusion at Ashley's statement.

Ashley simply smiled, tilting her head slightly to the side and gazing at the doctor with eyes glittering with mischief. "Yeah, you know... people paid some money to do some dirty things." She said, her lips twisting as her eyes narrowed. "But I guess I must have been mistaken." Her eyes darted back to the still very confused Hilary. "She is just his doctor, and there is no way Jayden will stoop so low for a lady like her, right?" She ended her words with pearls of scorn.

This time around, Hilary's bafflement melted into a sigh. Those last words of Ashley's already made the subject matter clearer to her. She must really think the poor doctor who simply had a job to do was another rivalry of hers, someone drunk in love with Jayden like she was.

"Thanks for your time, doc," Hilary stated quickly, wanting to dismiss the mentioned lady as quickly as possible to avoid the situation getting out of hand.

Maria managed a curt nod, and resumed on her tracks, mentally urging herself that she was doing a good thing by leaving and not allowing Ashley to get a hold of her emotions any further.

But her steps were stopped when the calling of her name rang with so much clarity, making her face turn to see Hilary moving closer. Despite the urgent need to scurry away from the area, she knew it would be rude to ignore the call from someone as pleasant as Hilary.

So Maria waited for whatever Hilary had to say. She guessed it was another question about Jayden and so, braced herself for it. It was her job anyway. She was the one in the position to answer any inquiries concerning Jayden's health.

"We are having a tea party tonight. A small gathering right here in the garden. Do you mind joining us?" Hilary inquired, smiling brightly, her voice full of charm.

Maria turned surprised, blinking a couple of times. Tea party? That was new and absolutely not what she had expected. Parties with the kinds of Stanleys' scared her a little bit; the last one she went did not end up well.

"It's 5 pm. I hope you can make it." The lady added when no responses came.

"I-I will try my best." Maria manage a quick reply, her smile forced but not obvious. "Thanks for the invite." She concluded and started walking away.

Hilary beamed softly, tapping her gently on the shoulder. "Of course. Hope to see you tonight!" She voiced before turning back and heading towards the path Ashley had walked in search of Jayden's room.

Only when the lady's tall figure had completely disappeared from sight did Maria feel the need to release a long breath. Another party with the Stanleys including a particular lady who seemed to hate her for a reason she couldn't understand? This was complete situational havoc she had just thrown herself into. 

***