~ 33 ~

The amusement park was not a place he frequented during childhood. Unlike other kids without domineering parents, Jayden's freedom had always been tied to rules and regulations. Every aspect of his life had mostly been dictated by his father and having his son visit places like such to hang out with kids presumed as lower class was highly dishonorable.

His eyes surveyed the bustling environment, realizing the same place he had always wished for a chance to visit when he was little didn't seem interesting as before. All he could see now was a bunch of people whiling away their priceless time with non-profitable activities. And as much as he didn't wish for this to happen, he was becoming a part of them, thanks to his pestering doctor.

"What should we do first?" Maria's voice startled him from his thoughts. Her words caused his gaze to land on her again, meeting the wide grin on her face.

"Do I look like an interested person?" He questioned gruffly, folding his arms to express his lack of interest.

"No one comes to the park and finds nothing about it fun, you know. There must be something that piques your interest." She pointed out to him with an amused expression, clearly trying to make herself appear friendly. "Let's start with this. What things did you try the last time you visited an amusement park? The Ferris wheel? Or roller coaster? Which one is your favorite?"

"Do I look like someone that--"

"Okay, enough of that," she quickly interrupted, knowing what he was about to say. "Well, I have tons of ideas. But first, how about we visit the photo booth to capture this moment?" She added, smiling brightly at him.

Jayden rolled his eyes at her suggestion, shaking his head without hesitation. "Count me out," but he knew that was going to change. They both did.

***

"You can remove your disguises now. We are alone here." Maria said as she drew the curtains of the booth close.

Jayden leaned against the wall, crossing his arms before replying grumpily, "I choose to let them be."

Her head immediately rolled to glance at him. "How can you take pictures with those on?" She asked with raised brows, clearly bemused.

"I never agreed to this." He replied in turn, glaring at her through his shielded eyes.

"Wait, you want me to do this alone??"

"Obviously."

Maria sighed loudly, crossing her arms challengingly at him. "There is no fun if I am the only one taking the photos." She tried to reason with him. "Are you that old-fashioned to know that or you are just being your ridiculously stubborn self?"

He maintained his silence, not flinching at her remark or showing signs of a counterattack. Realizing it was pointless to continue persuading him, Maria decided to let him be.

"Fine, I will do this alone then." She mumbled, turning to the machine, and beginning to set it up.

Seconds of silence passed by as she concentrated on her task, choosing her preferred number of shots. By the time she had finished, she was sure her grumpy patient would have let down his guard.

And so, at full speed, she spun around and tried to attack him by taking off his face guises. Her plan was ruined when his hands instinctively grabbed her wrists, preventing her from reaching his face.

"What do you think you are doing?" He questioned, his tone sounding dark, like a villain catching his prey redhandedly.

Maria gulped, stammering for words as she looked up at his face. She blinked, stunned, and could only think about how foolish she was for not giving a thought about their height difference. Of course, it wouldn't be an easy task to take off his items when he was not blind.