~ 5 ~

His mind was hazy and his vision blurred. The world around him was spinning and he could not focus on anything. A headache was forming behind his temples and his whole body was throbbing. Jayden knew something was wrong yet he wanted to ignore the sensations. He needed to concentrate on getting rid of the doctor and not create reasons for her to stay. But he knew it was too late when the lady by the door had turned her attention towards him.

He averted his eyes quickly, hiding the agony he felt inside. He could not afford to show weakness or vulnerability to anyone. Not even to her.

His frame managed to move with a few steps, targeting the sofa for a seat but failed when the dizziness became unbearable. The next moment, he found himself collapsing onto the floor, unable to support his weight.

"Mr. Stanley!" The loud cry of the doctor was what he heard next, followed by her footsteps running towards his side.

Her figure was quick to find his on the floor as she squatted right in front of him, offering to help him up.

"Let go," he mumbled, pushing her hands away. "I'm perfectly--"

"Shut up." The words had escaped her lips before he could finish his retort. Her eyelids stretched a little at the realization, surprised at herself. But she didn't seem to care too much, they would worry about her rudeness later, for now, she had a patient to attend to.

She reached for his arm, throwing it across her shoulder before lifting the both of them with a labored effort. Her fragile shoulders ached for mercy as she pulled him up, his body heavy and unresponsive.

Maria almost threw him away when they finally reached the sofa, in a demand to keep his weight off her strained muscles. "I told you to stay calm earlier, Mr. Stanley." She scolded in a light voice, studying his condition intently as she stood before him.

Her gave traveled to her bag which dropped to the table beside the sofa, finding the pills she had brought along. She spread the prescribed drugs on the furniture, ready to prepare his medicine. Luckily for her, there was a jug of water close by, although half of its content had been spilled across the table thanks to Mr. Get lost and his banging.

When she was done preparing his dosage, she returned her attention to him and he immediately looked away, sensing her motive.

Maria sank into a squat and looked up at him with eyes tugged with worry. "When was the last time you ate something?" She asked before proceeding with her intent.

Jayden clutched his eyes shut, ignoring her, with his brain blank and thoughts scattered. He could only wish his headache could disappear so he voice out the horrible words he wished to say to her.

Suddenly, two warm hands reached the sides of his throbbing head, forcing him to open his eyes, and his gaze locked straight with the concerned expression of the doctor checking his temperature. Her eyes were wide with concern, and her brows were knitted together as if she was worried sick.

"Your head is burning, Mr. Stanley. You are the one feeling this much pain, not me. Whatever decision you make will affect only you; good or bad. So give me a chance." She sounded with a soothing voice slightly above whispers, her look gentle and encouraging. Her fingers were still lightly pressing against his skin, gently massaging his scalp and combing through his hair. "And we can start by telling me when last you ate something."

It was hypnotizing. The tranquility of her voice, and the way her fingers stroked his scalp as though they were leaving magical trails with each touch. He could feel the warmth radiating from her hand and the softness of her palms. It was mesmerizing as though she had intentionally cast a spell over him.