~ 42 ~

The luxurious penthouse housed the former students of Rutherford, a particular class reuniting for the first time, each of them with their own reasons to be there tonight.

While the popular reason for the attendees was because it was a great opportunity to see old classmates and hang out together, Maria and her pal knew they were mainly there for the food.

"This tastes so good..." Dawn savored the piece of meat she was chewing with a soft moan. "It's so good, I wonder what's this?" She added in surprise before she continued eating while keeping her gaze locked on the pair of blue eyes watching her.

Maria stared down at the buffet with an identical mesmerized expression, nodding at every dish that got put on the table. "Wait till you try this grilled lobster." She stated in a hushed tone before serving her plate with an array of appetizers and desserts.

"I don't doubt loving it." The other lady chuckled back, both of them grinning wickedly like two partners in crime.

They both walked away to help themselves to a table that overlooked the view of Manhattan, the sun slowly setting beyond the skyscrapers as they settled on their seats.

"Food first, then we can care to listen to those people talk about their lives," Maria said casually, her voice low enough to not reach the ears of anyone nearby.

Dawn nodded with a short smirk. "That's true. Most of them are just here to talk about how much they have accomplished and brag about their jobs." She returned in the same quiet tone, picking up her fork and knife to stab into a piece of lamb.

They clinked their glasses, raising them for a toast before gulping the wine that sat inside it. They exchanged laughs but Dawn was quick to die when she noticed the particular man getting some spotlight in a corner of the penthouse's balcony.

"Hold up, isn't that Alex Sommers?" Dawn whispered in astonishment, her eyes glued to the same figure as he talked with the people surrounding him.

The mention of the name froze Maria for a second, automatically releasing the cage of deep resentment she had against the mentioned person from years back.

Her face twisted into an emotionless mask as she turned to glance at him and the sight of him reminded her how much she still hated him. She returned her gaze to the table after a series of eye rolls.

"I guess the rumors are true." Dawn voiced out her thoughts, looking at her friend back.

"What rumors?" Maria questioned, making sure her voice lacked curiosity and that her face didn't show anything else than indifference.

"You don't know?" Her friend said with a frown, not understanding why Maria would be clueless. "I heard he owns his own hospital now. I can tell easily tell that he is loaded now judging by one look at him." She continued, gesturing at the handsome surgeon.

"Lucky him..." Maria muttered flatly, shrugging and returning to her food.

Dawn looked at her, surprised by her cold demeanor. "Wait, you guys don't talk at all anymore? Or at least follow each other on socials?" She asked as if the fact alone was strange.

"Why should we?" Maria replied curtly, keeping her expression as cold as she could manage without looking weird.

She picked up her glass again and drained it until the alcohol reached her stomach, then she set her glass down. She was forced to look up when Dawn chuckled softly. "What now?" Maria grumbled.

Dawn smirked. "Well, I just think you two make quite an attractive romance title: Ex turned millionaire. What do you think?"

Maria simply shook her head, turning away from Dawn and focusing on the view beside them, watching the sky turn into the deep purple and pink of twilight. The sun was still shining behind the tall buildings of New York, but a dark blanket covered most of the city in a gloomy haze.