CHAPTER 33

CHAPTER 33: THE CURSE OF CASPON'S LAKE

How did you end up here?

How the hell did you end up here - to the point in your life where you'd be clinging to the bottom of a lake, hugging a bloated, decade-old corpse to your back?

You woke up bright and early that morning, determined as ever, to cure Orlion's waters of the savage beast that brutalized innocent shippers. You whispered questions and promises to Helixia's tomb, impatient and disgruntled by her, much foreseen, lack of reply. You bid farewell to Uzner and Akira, and flipped off Ruven and his traders as they gathered on the shores of the lake - all of whom were apparently there as reinforcements.

Everything was so going well.

Everything was going as planned.

That was until the sailor, who delivered you to the heart of the lake, called quits the instant he heard moans from the blues. There on out, you were on your own. Using a modified version of a spell the Countess gave you - which you honestly weren't sure would work - you dived into the waters, traced a rune onto your wrist, and formed something the likes of a bead of air around your face.

You were grateful that the magic worked. Otherwise, the menacing lake - that already left you hyperventilating - would have quickly sought out your demise.

After dwelling a moment too long in the gloom, you eventually gathered the courage to pursue your investigation. But even at the crime scene, you had no clue how to break the Paladin's curse. You figured - maybe there was an insignia or gate that you had to find. Once you work out how to activate or deactivate it, the mermaid-like creature, that the town raved on about, would perish.

Then, all will be well.

You can finally get the truth about your destiny. Akira can embrace you as a sister. With new faith, you can reunite the Three Musketeers.

And finally - you can lead a life without doubt or indifference. One with love and hope. And most importantly - one with purpose.

Though it seemed rather simple to recite, you knew your mission was no child's play. You just wished Helixia could have given you a few pointers as to how to undo the damage she's done. Regrettably, and understandably, Akira was hesitant to release her prisoner before she absolutely had to. Regardless, it would have been nice to have, at least, a torch-hand to shed some light on your predicament.

You explored for a few hours before your body felt sore from the mass of the lake. Looking down at your wrist, you realized the shape of the azure rune began to scatter. Although you enjoyed your little excavation of seaweed gardens and ghostly shipwrecks, you definitely felt relieved you had a reason to take a break. After all, you were starting to get queasy from the dense, sliminess of the water.

But, your anxious swimming came to a sudden halt when you spotted a figure in the distance. A head, four limbs, long torso - there was no question it was human. But as your throat thickened, you questioned whether they were alive. Seeing as the person was floating in the middle of the lake's height, you tried your luck and approached them. When you neared, more figures - at least a dozen - emerged as inky silhouettes from the murk.

Your throat began to act up again - especially when you felt the water around you stir as if something had darted by. This something, you assumed, was large and sinister. Determined to keep a sound mind, you dismissed the warning signs as a stunt of your imagination and kept moving towards your target.

And that's when things hit the skids.

Yet, if someone asked you to recount the events that transpired, you wouldn't be able to tell them much.