CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8: PRINCE OF KATOLIS

Unlike yourself, your companion's attention was at a constant flux and completely divided. But it was only fair considering his circumstances, correct? How else was someone to feel when their father's life was at stake in exchange for letting go of one's own morality? All Uzner wanted was to restore order and return the crown to its rightful owner. But it seemed as if things always got worse whenever he tried to erase your errors. Not that he complained - he was careful not to make you feel guiltier than you already were.

Aside from that, Uzner despised every ounce of the overweening pawner.

If actions didn't have consequences, the lad would have made him meat for the mutts by nightfall.

The smith's boy eventually muted his cursing and recognized your absent-mindedness. You seemed to have befriended silence throughout your journey back to the shop. The young man found it unsettling. Even though he had only held a formal conversation with you that very day, he imagined you would be a lot more mouthy - especially after a heated altercation.

But no, you remained as is - listless and with unyielding eyes, much like your ma. The Katolian tried not to pry, but he found it unusually challenging. He reckoned it had something to do with the smirtle that you were failing to suppress. "Tell me - please - what part of our situation do you find so amusing?"

"What do you mean?" You asked, straightening your spine while keeping your hues steady on the path ahead. The gruntled expression that once graced your pastel features diminished entirely. "Frankly there's nothing amusing about our situation."

"Then what is with that?"

In your peripheral view, you saw him point at you. "What is what?"

Uzner swooped into your track, forcing you to an abrupt stop. He leaned towards you and scrunched his mouth, as though he were studying you, making his ill-grown mustache prickle over his top-lip. "Your face. You look smug."

Your cheeks, which were already trained rouge from the sun's kiss, seemed to grow warmer. "I do not."

"Yes, you do. And after your recent adventures, I want to know everything you think, feel and do. Do understand?" You nodded. "So tell me what other laws did you decide to break-"

"Uzner-"

"Now."

"We can't talk in public-"

"Now!"

Prior to the affairs of that evening, you would have never considered being so comfortable with the lout. But after countless hours of communal restlessness and panicking, it seemed as though a sibling-like alliance had been established. So surprisingly, there was no offence when you seized the young man by the wrist and hauled him hastily down to his home. Though, there was ludic resistance.

Your hubris and Uzner's feverish bemusement blinded you folks from acknowledging that someone was hot on your tail and heedful of your every move. After minutes of swerving through bodies of occupied merchants and marketers, you were, in due course, successful in returning to the shop. Upon your arrival, you thrusted the boy into the room and secured the entrance. "Wait - what - what's going on? Why are you so secretive?"

"Will you continue to be cross with me?" You asked with a grin, contradicting the concerned tone of your voice.

"Well . . . it depends on what else you're getting us into," the lad muttered, twisting his lips to a lour.

"How badly do you want this crown returned?"

"As badly as wanting to stay alive."

"Must we do everything legitimately?"