Growing out

The doctor had never been a fan of haircuts. No matter what body she'd regenerated into, no matter the gender, hair style or hair colour, she'd never liked getting it cut. Course it was more obvious if it was overgrown when she was a man, so when she upgraded into a female she was over the moon that she wouldn't have to worry about it growing out.

However, she hadn't really thought of the logic behind that. Her hair would still grow after all, and since it was chin length it would still look long. But she just ignored it, letting her hair grow and enjoying the fact that no one was telling her constantly to get it cut. That wasn't to say no one noticed, of course the fam did, but why would they say anything? It was normal for hair to grow after all.

When Yaz noticed the doctor's increasing length of gorgeous blonde hair, she couldn't help smile. She looked amazing with short hair, it was one of her characteristics, having fluffy puffy short blonde hair that would bounce and ruffle as she ran, sometimes falling into her face or going static. But, she couldn't deny she looked just as incredible with longer hair. It was straight yet fluffy, still looking adorable when it'd hang over her shoulders or she'd have to blow it out of her eyes.

Yaz had to resist the temptation to run her fingers through it when she was stood close enough, or to ask to brush or braid it like she would do with her sister growing up. The doctor never seemed to have an interest in how it looked, which let the fam know she wasn't growing it for aesthetics. She just didn't want to get it cut.

One day the fam were relaxing in the present waiting for the doctor to finish repairs on the Tardis, Yaz sat on a stool watching her over her book. She glanced up at the sound of the blonde grumbling to herself, whipping her head back to try and get the hair out of her goggles. "Get out of the way, I can't see what I'm doing!" She huffed, using her wrist to clear her vision as her hands were covered in oil.

Yaz giggled under her breath, setting her book down and getting up. "Need a hand? Or a clean pair anyway." She smiled warmly as the doctor smirked sheepishly, lifting her goggles off her eyes. She couldn't help get sucked in to those minty brown eyes of hers, they were gorgeous and sparkly and always so kind. "Maybe a little, thanks Yaz." She said, letting her friend sweep the stray strands of hair out of her face and collect it into a bunch behind her shoulders.

Yaz ran her fingers through it, amazed by how soft and silky it was. She took a hair band off her wrist and began to tie it back, getting too exited and putting it in many styles of pony tail and bun before settling on something basic to keep it out the way. She stepped back and let a bashful smile take over her face, blushing madly. The doctor looked so pretty with a ponytail, it was an unbelievable sight.

She already found herself pink in the face when the doctor let her longer hair fall over her shoulders, or when she'd tuck it behind her ear as she worked. She loved it when she'd use a pencil to tie it back when that's all she had available, or when she'd twiddle strands between her fingers out of worry. She couldn't deny short hair was the blonde's style and one she loved, but long hair was different.

She was awoken from her daydream by the doctor blowing a loose strand out of her face, finally loosing her patients and spinning around. "I really don't like hair growth, it's annoying as anything." She whined, wrestling the hair tie out of her locks and shaking her head to naturally perfect it. "I like it better short." She admitted, removing her apron and wiping her dirty hands off on a rag. Yaz cocked a brow.

"Well, we could get it cut? There's loads of hairdressers locally." She offered, but earning a very grumpy face from the doctor. She shook her head slowly, sipping at her cup of tea. "I hate getting haircuts." She groaned, making Yaz chuckle. She really was like a big kid sometimes, but that was one of the things that made the doctor, the doctor. The Khan came closer and put her hand under the blonde's chin, rubbing small circles with her thumb.

"If you don't like it long, we have to get it cut to make it short, otherwise it'll keep getting longer!" She teased, the Doctor cracking a smile and putting her hand over Yaz's. There was a moment between them as they stood so close, like they hadn't realised just how little separated their lips. "Or, I guess I could do it if you want. I took a year of hairdressing in secondary school- not that that's much of a qualification."

Yaz lent back slightly, watching the doctor sink into thought and consideration at her offer. She was nervous, as she didn't want to mess it up and cause any ripples in their friendship, but she wanted her to be happy with herself. "Okay, yeah I trust you." The doctor said, a hint of nerve in her tone but masked by her normal cheery smile.

Yaz prepared a video on how to cut short hair well as she placed a rag around the doctors shoulders, giving her a rub on the back and a sigh of comfort. She held her breath as she picked up a pair of hairdressing scissors they'd found whilst working on the Tardis. "Right, you want it This short? Just like it was when you fell? I'll start long and we can go shorter, okay?" She checked constantly, getting several nods and yeses from the Doctor.

With one last breath, she cut across the hair at the shoulder, making sure it was even as she went. As strands of blonde fell onto the Time-Lords lap, she remembered just why she hated haircuts- the anxiety. What if they cut it too short? What if they leave it too long? What if they change the style and I don't like it? What if? But this time, she had full trust in Yaz. She loved Yaz, she'd trust her with much more than just her hair, so her nerves were under control.

Yaz finished the last snip, cleaning up her cut and ruffling it through her fingers and smiling. She was pleased with herself. It was the perfect length- or at least she though so- sitting just under her chin and hugging around her head. It was fluffy and soft, and seemed to bounce back to life as the weight was lifted off it. "Okay, I think we're done! Do you wanna see?" She asked nervously, taking her phone out of her pocket and pulling up the front facing camera.

The doctor squealed with excitement as Yaz handed her the phone, looking into it and smiling with relief. It was the perfect length, exactly what she wanted and not too in her face anymore. She ran her hands through it and revelled in the fine texture and light weight, reminding herself just how much she liked it short. "Oh it's perfect!" She said, Turning to face her friend with a huge smile.

Yaz blushed hard as their eyes met. She looked so gorgeous, it was unbelievable. "You look so pretty." She let slip, her mouth gaping as she realised what she'd said. Her face turned to a smile as the doctor blushed shyly, looking down and back up quickly. She went to speak but stopped, not being able to form words. She'd been called pretty before, but it meant so much more to her coming from Yaz. She actually felt pretty when Yaz complimented her.

"T-Thank you.." she stuttered out, reaching to twiddle her finger in her hair- only it had been cut off. She blushed and smiled at Yaz, feeling butterflies form in her stomach. "You're pretty too." She said quietly, cursing herself for being so blunt. She wanted to scream it from the rooftops, but she knew Yaz would probably prefer something more subtle and sweet. With that in mind, she slid her hand into hers.

Yaz could feel her face heating more as her hand made contact with the doctors, squeezing back gently and trying not to explode with glee. They sat there for a while, not sure where to go from this point, until a certain silver fox noisily entered the workshop. "You alright in here? What's taking so long Doc?" It was Graham. He almost paused as he noticed the two girls hand in hand, but settled on a smirk.

"Oh, my bad, I'll let you finish. Hair looks great Doc!" He said as he spun around and headed back to a rather impatient Ryan to gush about what he'd just walked in on. The doctor let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in, looking back at Yaz. "Your hair does look great y'know." She said, placing her hand behind the blonde's ear.

"Yeah, well you cut it perfectly."