Yaz's day off

Yaz awoke to the blinding sun in her eyes. She groaned and covered her eyes with her duvet, wondering who would've opened her curtains- and more importantly WHY. It could only have been around 8:30, and she was on earth, so she couldn't work out who would've even been awake to do so, and why the sun was so high at such an early hour. After a few minutes of denial she threw her covers off, cringing at the cold that captured her whole body and sent shivers up her spine. She climbed off the bed, and was caught off guard by the weakness of her knees as her feet hit the ground, having to grab the wall to steady herself.

She felt sluggish and tired, her head hurt and her throat was soar. She assumed she was coming down with something, but didn't know how it'd come on so fast overnight. She stretched her arms about her head and sniffed, feeling her nose get more and more clogged each breath she took. Despite how terrible she felt, she knew she had work today- god knows what she'd get into of she didn't go- so she began to get ready. After putting on her uniform and vest, brushing her hair and pulling it into a bun and pulling on her thick socks, Yaz walked out into the hallway.

The fam were staying with Ryan and Graham so that Yaz could catch up on her police work before they got to travelling the universe again. As much as the doctor hated to admit it, There was reasons to stay on earth during the present, and Yaz had to use the time they had to get back on top of her job. Today was her first day on proper duty alone, red and blue lights and all, and she was not ready to miss it because of a little bug. She strutted into the kitchen, a little surprised to see not only Graham up, but Ryan and the doctor too. They were both really late sleepers, so to say she was suspicious was an understatement.

"Morning you lot!" Yaz said, feeling the snottiness of her voice. The fam turned to her and smiled, though hers and the doctors eyes lingered on each other longer than needed. Their staring properly would've continued had it not been for Ryan. "You alright Yaz? You look terrible." He said, taking a swig of tea. Yaz sniggered, walking towards the small circular table they were all sat around and punching him playfully on the arm. "Never better. Probably just caught a cold, nothing bad." She set the kettle to a boil and lent against the counter, trying to ignore the dull throb in her temple.

"Yeah well, cold or not, take it easy. Don't push yourself too hard." Graham said absentmindedly, Reading through the paper and drinking his tea. The doctor nodded in agreement, mouth still full of apple juice- the fam had denied her tea in the mornings because she was already bouncing off the walls, so powered by caffeine who knows what she'd be like. "Yeah, you don't look well, are you sure you shouldn't take the day off?" She suggested, Yaz shaking her head firmly in response. "No, absolutely not. I'm not missing my first day of duty, and anyway I'm fine!" She cracked a smile so genuine that the rest of the fam smiled too.

She poured herself a cup of coffee to attempt to put a spring back in her step and sat down, drinking it down slowly. Her stomach felt sore and upset, which was something she wasn't willing to test so left half of her drink untouched. As it turned 9 she got up and grabbed her vest, clipping it on and grinning with pride as everyone glanced at her from the table. "Right you lot, I'll see you later!" She called as she headed for the front door. To her surprise as she reached for the handle, someone stopped her. She turned around, the doctor stood there. She looked adorable, her braces unclipped and hanging at her hips and feet in a pare of large fluffy socks.

"What's up?" Yaz asked, dragging her eyes off her outfit to address her concerns. The doctor looked strangely serious, like something was bothering her. "Yaz, I don't think you should go in today." She said, her sentence fading as it finished. Yaz sighed, leaning against the door. "You're ill! And I can tell it's worst than your making out." The blonde sounded somewhat desperate, waiving her hands lightly to illustrate her point. "I'm fine, Doctor. I'm not missing a day of work because of a silly-" she stopped mid sentence , feeling her stomach churn uncomfortably.

She swallowed heavily, doing her best not to give anything away to the doctor. "Yeah no, I'm fine, I promise." She said. She couldn't raise her voice any higher than a whisper without gagging, which the doctor lowered her eyebrows at. The blonde reached forwards and placed her palm on Yaz's forehead, gasping dramatically. "My god Yaz, you're practically on fire!" She said, keeping her voice down as to not trigger the inevitable migraine. Yaz shook her head again. "I feel fine, I promise!" As if on cue, her vision flickered, everything going slightly blurry and fuzzy.

She felt her limbs go heavy and everything start spinning. Her head was pounding and her body was weak, and as much as she wanted to lie she knew how dangerous she'd be behind the wheel of a car right now. "D-Doctor?" She muttered weakly before the world around her faded out slowly. She felt herself falling but was out before she hit the ground.

Yaz opened her eyes with a start, jolting up in shock. She was sweaty and hot, her throat was raw and her head was throbbing more than before. She held her head with her hands, groaning before looking back up around her. She was back bed, not her bed- it looked like the doctor's bed actually. She recognised the coloured bedding Graham had given her, saying it matched her personality. It was bright blue with green dots covering it, Yaz had agreed it matched the Doctor perfectly. She looked around again in shear confusion- how had she ended up in her bed of all peoples? She attempted to get up, but stopped in her tracks as she felt a shift next to her.

She glanced to her side and melted at the sight of the doctor sleeping soundly next to her. She was still dressed, so it wasn't late, but she had her hands coiled on the pillow where Yaz's head had just been. Had she fallen asleep with her? She was just as gorgeous asleep, but she didn't get to observe it for long as the blonde creased her eyebrows and opened her eyes. She looked startled for a moment, before sitting up and rubbing her face with a warm smile directed at Yaz. "You're awake! How are you feeling?" Her voice was groggy from sleeping, Yaz could tell.

"Oh, yeah better- ish, I suppose. What happened?" She asked, still waking up slightly and a little dazed. The doctor put her palm to her forehead again, moving it away a little more satisfied than last time. "You're still warm, but better than earlier. I suspect you had the copiler infection, a nasty thing, takes the form of a common cold then tears away at your immune system. Easily fixable luckily, I administered the antidote whist you were out and you should be better in a day or two. You must've picked it up when we were travelling, it's easily contractable for humans on alien planets." The doctor waffled.

Yaz would've freaked out more about having an alien illness that could've been extremely dangerous had no one noticed, only being so tired she didn't have the energy to care. The doctor noticed and placed a hand on hers, rubbing it softly. "Get some rest, it'll help you fight off whatever's left of infection." Yaz didn't have to be asked twice, laying back down and grabbing heaps of blanket as she shut her eyes. She felt the blonde lay back down next to her, and made a mental note to thank her for staying later.

The doctor pressed her temple to Yaz's, using her telepathic powers to take some of her friends pain away to sit through. It was the least she could do. She too lied down, feeling the sluggish nature of the illness weigh her down. She took Yaz's hand in her own, squeezing it. She wasn't going to leave her to suffer alone- god knows what would've happened if she had left for work. It wouldn't have been good, that's for sure.