Chapter 56

Cassy was jolted awake by the sound of the door opening. She hopped out of her blankets and saw Nana walk in.

"It's so late, Nana. Where have you been?" Cassy asked rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"I went to buy a few things from the West market, met a few old friends on the way and had a great chat. It was sure a long day," she sighed looking at her. "Did you eat, Kelly? What have you been doing all day?"

"I had the food you prepared before you left. I made many charms for you and even tried out new designs. Do you want to look at them?" she excitedly bounced to the other end of the room to show her work.

"They look amazing!" Nana squealed in joy. "You are such a brilliant child! I'm so glad that I found you that day. If only I could afford to send you to school, you'd become a really intelligent person. I'm sure of that!"

Cassy smiled at Nana. She was such a warm and giving person and not once has she ever made Cassy feel bad. She reminded her of Lisa, her grandmother, but only older and wrinkled. She missed her grandmother. Was she going to stay with Nana forever?

"Thank you, Nana," she smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Was she really going to stay with Nana forever?

"What happened, Kelly? Why don't you look happy, child?" Nana asked worried.

Cassy wondered if she should tell about what happened a few hours ago in the market.

"Nana, I think I need to tell you something," Cassy fidgeted. "Earlier today I went out to help out Lucinda, but I saw a strange man follow me back home. I'm scared."

"Who was he?" Nana looked very worried. "How did he look like?"

"He was dressed in black, but I didn't see much of his face as he kept hiding. I ran back home because I was so scared. I think I'm going to bring you trouble, Nana," tears welled up in her big wide eyes.

Was she really going to stay with Nana forever?

"It's going to be fine. How could you ever bring me trouble? Look, you are my lucky charm," she hugged her and tied a charm around her tiny wrist. "Doesn't it look beautiful! I am glad I made this for you," she touched the ocean blue bead in the center.

"It's both blue and green!" Cassy exclaimed. "It changes colour if I move it!"

"It somehow reminded me of you," she smiled. "I also brought you some candy!" she said and Cassy squealed in delight.

There was a knock on the door and Nana looked at Cassy. "Who could it be at this time?" she mused and opened the door.

"Hello ma'am, we're the police," the two men in front of her door showed their IDs to her. "We received information that you are keeping a missing child hostage. We need to check your house, you may remain standing where you are."

They walked in and there was nothing much to search. Cassy was standing right in front of them in the middle of the room.

"Is this the same child?" one of the officers asked and the other rechecked the photo in his hand and confirmed. "Yes, we found her. Cassy Baxter has been rescued."

"Cassy Baxter?" Nana asked. "I- I'm sorry. She's Kelly. She's an orphan!" she exclaimed.

"She's Dr. Charlie Baxter's child, not an orphan. You may have to come with us to the police station for questioning," the officer said leading Cassy into the car outside the house. "Looks like the child gave herself a fake name. Smart kid," the officer chuckled with the driver.

"But Kelly!" Nana frowned. "You lied to me?"

"Keep moving, woman. We haven't got time for dramatics," the other officer nudged her towards another car.

Charlie was pacing outside the police station when Cora approached him.

"Hey, it's getting cold. Why don't you come inside? I'm sure they are on their way here."

"Looks like he wants to get sick before he can meet Cassy," Jesse smirked at him and he rolled his eyes.

"Don't get so cocky," Charlie said.

"Why? Because I helped find Cassy and you just sat and sulked here?" she retorted. "You should be kissing my boots rights now."

Charlie suddenly tackled her in a tight hug and kissed her cheek. "Kissing your boots or kissing your cheek, eh, the same," he said dismissively and Jesse bonked his head with her fist. "Ouch!" he screamed letting her go. "But then, thank you so much, Jesse. You know that this means so much to me. You brought my child back to me and that is the single greatest gift I ever received from you," he said hugging her again. "I'm glad you're my sister."

"Coffee! Coffee, everyone!" Jordan interrupted and led everyone completely outside. "Might as well keep drinking something warm in this cold and not annoy the cops."

Jackie's car came to a skidding stop in front of them and the couple dropped in looking frantic.

"Where is she? Cassy?" Caitlyn asked and Cora calmed her down.

"They're on their way. Coffee?" she offered.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here earlier. Something crashed at work and I needed to be there. So, tell me everything! How did they find her?" Jackie exclaimed.

Jesse cleared her throat and Charlie chuckled. "It is all thanks to Jesse that we found her. Good enough? You wanted some credit, didn't you?" Charlie asked Jesse and she smacked his shoulder.

"Shut up, Charlie!" she rolled her eyes.  "The police had intel from a few people that a girl with Cassy's features had been spotted in the East Market. But the market is so huge that it is very hard to sift through the entire area. But then, I had other information which the police didn't have. Alex and I accidentally overheard two women discuss a little child whose characteristics matched Cassy's. I just couldn't get it out of my head and when the police had triggered the word East Market, that is when the two women's conversation struck me and I was convinced to explore further."

Jesse had been a true detective that day, working hand in hand with the police and the clues. She wanted her niece back and her family to get a grip. It had been too long that they lived that way. She recalled the conversation between the two women in the market and insisted that they look for a man named Ben and two women named Nana who was old and Lucinda who was nosy. The police did not take her seriously in the beginning, but finally conceded due to her stubbornness. Good for them, they finally caught up with the information and found Cassy.

Two police vehicles pulled up into the compound, drawing everyone's attention towards themselves. Charlie waited in anticipation for Cassy to get off the vehicle and come running towards him.

The doors opened and a couple of officers came out followed by an old woman from one car and Cassy in another. Before Charlie or anyone else could call out her name, she began running towards the old woman from the other car, screaming out, "Nana, I'm sorry! Please, Nana! I'm sorry!"

"What the hell?" Jordan frowned.

"M-my child, my daughter is running behind an old woman," Charlie stammered, unable to process the sight in front of him.

"That's the woman I saw in the market today! She's the Nana." Jesse said.

"Let's go get your daughter back," Jackie said, tugging Charlie behind him.