Chapter 4

The house which Cora was taken to was way too familiar to her. It was as if she knew it from an eternity, but still the memory was too distant to her. Her house was more like a mansion and there were butlers and maids all around. They all came to greet her politely and she backed away from them a little scared. But there was this one woman who stroke the string of familiarity in Cora. She was an elderly woman, almost in her sixties, wrinkled face, short and a little on the stouter side, she had a smiling face and had a very calming presence. She smiled at Cora gently and she took a step forward, towards the elderly woman.

"Are you-" Cora trailed off, trying to remember her name. It felt like she knew all about the woman, yet somehow couldn't recollect it.

"I am Oprah, Miss Rhonda. Your caretaker from when you were very little," she smiled gently. Somehow, this woman seemed more close to her than her own mother. "I missed you."

"Oprah?" Cora repeated after her and slowly images started forming in her head. It felt like she had heard the name Oprah many times. A silhouette of this woman, a younger version of her appeared in her memories. Somehow it brought a warm feeling in her and she smiled. "I know you, Oprah."

Cora's mother wasn't really happy with this. Even though she had to be feeling happy about Cora finally recognizing someone; because it is not her, Cora's own mother, she was a little mad. Sensing Mrs. Rhonda's displeasure, Oprah backed away.

"I shall get your food preparations ready. Please excuse me, miss," she bowed to them and quietly made her exit from the hall.

"I know Oprah," Cora turned towards her parents. "Though I wonder why the memories with you aren't so clear."

Mrs. Rhonda frowned and Mr. Rhonda cleared his throat. "That's okay. You'll slowly recollect them. I'm sure, darling. Do you want to go and freshen up? I'm sure your mother would love to show you your redecorated room. Audrey?" He looked at his wife.

Cora's mother felt threatened by her own maid. Whose child wouldn't recognize their own parents before their maids? But little did she know that Cora was pondering over the same thought. She really didn't understand why she would almost immediately remember a maid from when she was little than her own parents.

Her room was all in pink and her stomach lurched at the sight of it. Everything was frilly and too bright. There were so many soft toys and dolls which were creepy to boot and she really didn't feel like stepping inside.

"Why is this room so creepy?" She asked and Audrey just gaped.

"What in the world did you find creepy in this room?"

"For starters, everything. I don't like this room. Where is Oprah? I am sure she knows what I like."

Audrey frowned. She didn't like how Cora was placing her maid in front of her own mother. But then, it somehow made sense. All through her childhood when she was away from her child, Oprah was the one who took care of her. Maybe that is the reason she felt closer to the maid. Back then she didn't really mind being away from her child, but right at the moment, she really regretted not having spent enough time as to even know what her own child likes.

"Let's speak to Oprah and see how we can redecorate this room, shall we?" She smiled, finally giving up. Now that she finally realized that her child is more important than anyone else, she somehow let all the ego bend to some extent.

Charlie was at home, getting ready for work. He wondered how Cora was doing at her place. Even though he knew that he shouldn't overly think of only one patient, somehow his thoughts all zeroed in on Cora. He couldn't understand what he was feeling towards her.