Chapter 31

As Romeo had promised, he sure did eat a lot and Cora was happy paying for it. She had never seen a man so fascinated with food and be so delighted to eat it. Also, she figured that a little meat on his bones would look good on him.

The time she was spending with him flew by without notice. It felt almost natural having him around and bickering that way. She never felt offended every time he commented or teased her. Maybe he was telling the truth. Maybe they knew each other well. They could have even been friends at a point in time.

The next few days went by with a little bit of sight seeing and more food.
Cora began remembering a few things she had seen when she had been there.

"You told me that you wished you never knew me. Why?" She asked as they walked by a quiet street. He looked like a deer caught in front of headlights, but he recovered soon.

"That's because you are so annoying!" He tried shrugging her off.

"Try another lie," she folded her hands.

"You should try remembering the past rather than what I said a few days ago," he commented. "It would have been easier."

"Did I do something bad to you?" She asked. "I'm sorry if I did. You are a good man, Romeo."

He smiled. "To be honest, I really didn't want you to come, but I am glad that you did. You changed in many ways that I didn't think you ever would."

"I changed?" She asked. "In which sense?"

"You apologize now," he chuckled. "You were the most - pardon my language - unapologetic bitch I've ever met," he rolled his eyes recollecting his memories with her.

Cora laughed. She couldn't deny that he would think of her that way. Maybe she was that way, considering the kind of arrogance she carried with her even now.

"I still don't apologize if it isn't my fault," she piped in.

"Yeah, you screamed and made a huge fuss instead," Romeo added.

"Was it that bad?" She asked guiltily.

"Trust me, I like you better now."

"Well, at least you like me," she shrugged. "I didn't want to be hated by you any longer."

"I never hated you," he smiled warmly. "Just a strong dislike. That's all. Even that disappeared when you approached me with a clean slate."

"Why?"

"There were so many questions I had to ask you, but you didn't even know me. I realised that all of these years of dislike went in vain. I wanted to start over with you."

"There was something really big that happened between us, wasn't there?" Cora asked as flashes of memories reeled by her mind. "I can tell. I feel like I've known you for a long time."

Her mind was whirring with thoughts. She definitely knew now. They had separated on very bad terms but she was unable to remember why. She knew she had to apologize to him, but she didn't know for what reason. Her head was starting to ache and she was feeling faint. The next thing she knew was she was losing balance and everything went black.

"I'm sorry that I'm leaving you, Romeo. It is important for me to let go of you for you to live freely," Cora said. They were dressed in different school uniforms and looked a lot younger.

"I don't have to go to Canada! I can stay here with you!" Romeo urged.

"Don't say that! Wasn't it your dream?" She frowned. "By the way, I've got a new boyfriend now."

"You're lying to make me leave," he said stubbornly.

"You asked for it, Romeo. Do you want me to call him here and introduce you to him?"

"Introduce me to him?" He questioned sighing. It looked like he was in pain, but he gulped it down. "Alright. If it has come down to this, I'll leave. But I'll not come back. This will be the last time we'll ever see each other. If we ever run into each other, let's pretend that we are strangers."

With that Romeo had turned away and walked till he was out of Cora's sight. Cora knew that she was not supposed to do it, but in the end it was the right decision. It was Romeo's father's dream to see him study in that university. He wanted him to start his life there and live on his own two feet. But their relationship was not letting that happen. Romeo was willing to sacrifice his dreams and stay back. He was willing to shatter his father's wishes. She did not want to let that happen. She was going to make sure he would live a happy life even though it meant losing one person from her life.

Cora opened her eyes. There was soft light pouring through the window and the smell of hot chocolate. Soft murmurs of a man and a woman filled the room and she turned to see where she was. It was a typical hospital setting with white walls and blue curtains.

"You're awake!" Romeo squeaked trying to not make much noise. "Thank God you are awake!"

"How many days?" Cora trailed off wondering if she was right in her estimation. She just hoped she did not fall asleep for years again. She did not wish to forget whatever happened in her life till now. All the memories that she has made and remembered, she wanted to keep them with her.

"Don't worry, you passed out for a few hours," Romeo smiled. "Doctor said that it was because of stress," he sighed. "What are you stressing about though? I thought you were on a vacation!"

She smiled, "Is that your girlfriend?"

Romeo turned around and looked at Julia looking timid and trying to act like she was not a part of this scene. He smiled warmly at her and said yes. It was evident in his eyes that he was deep in love with her and that he had no feelings whatsoever about Cora.

He had gotten over her as she had wished.

Well, she had remembered now. She was in a relationship with Romeo once upon a time and forgot all about it. She took a deep breath. She could only make an estimate of how bad Romeo must have felt when he realized that she had forgotten everything that they ever had. It was no wonder that he wanted to ask so many things to her but wasn't able to.

"Hey," Julia broke her train of thoughts. "Nice to meet you. I am Julia."

"Cora," she smiled in return and looked at Romeo. "She's pretty. I am glad. I am happy for you. Finally," she muttered the last word, but Romeo more or less heard her.

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

Cora just smiled in reply. She was happy that Romeo had found a better person in his life. After remembering such a crucial thing of her past, she wouldn't have been able to take it if Romeo still hung on to her. But he definitely deserved an apology from her end. A real big apology. 

If Romeo was involved in her life apart from her family, then he should definitely be knowing at least a few things of her past. Maybe she could learn who she was from him. Maybe she could figure a few things from her past.