Chapter 52

Charlie was going through a couple of books when Cassy walked in. She looked pretty suspicious, but he wouldn't blame her. His siblings acted even more suspicious than her.

"So, dad?" she called out and he looked up at her.

"I was wondering if Cora was alright?" she fidgeted with her tiny skirt.

"Yes, she is better than ever," Charlie smiled as Cassy took her seat before him. "Do you want to meet her?"

"But Jordan says that she wouldn't remember me!" Cassy squeaked. "Will she really not? She also said that she ran away. Does she not like you anymore? But I thought she would be my mom!"

"Calm down, sweety," Charlie patted her on her head and heard hushed murmurs from outside his door. "And all the sneaky little idiots out there, get in. I know you all want a piece of gossip," he yelled. Jordan shamelessly walked in, followed by Jackie tugging Jesse in.

"Since you called us sneaky little idiots, mom's ego is hurt and won't join us. You may want to talk loudly so that she can hear," Jackie laughed and sat down, pulling Cassy into his lap.

Laughing along, he narrated whatever had happened to Cora in the past few weeks and how she is coping up with her current reality.

"She still won't remember any of us, will she?" Jordan asked sadly. "I liked her."

"Me too, actually," Jesse shrugged. "It would be nice if she got back her memories."

"Or we can create new ones," Charlie smiled. "The last time she saw Cassy, she thought I was cheating on her. I wouldn't want her running away anymore."

"That's true," Cassy said. "Should I go and introduce myself to her?"

Charlie laughed. "I really appreciate that you are trying to help me, but I'll sort all of this by myself."

"How long are you going to make this man wait for his wedding?" Jesse thundered at Charlie.

"What do you mean?" he frowned.

"Jackie has been postponing his wedding since he doesn't want to be a jerk to you while you are facing all of this. You better set things right as soon as possible or I'm taking the couple to a registrar to get them married!" Jesse yelled.

"No! Not a registrar! We are talking about a wedding here! Do you even know the rituals?" Jordan had the crazy look on her face and Jesse backed off worried that she might bite.

"Guys, it's alright. I'm okay waiting for his life to straighten out," Jackie smiled. "But I have a request."

"You are being extra nice to me. What do you want? A kidney? My liver?" Charlie frowned.

"Shut up, idiot. I want something far more valuable than that," Jackie smirked.

"Then, my heart and brain?" he guessed and earned a smack on his shoulder by Jesse.

"I want you to be the one who walks the bride up the aisle. You know, since Caitlyn has no fam... " Jackie trailed off.

"It would be my utmost pleasure," Charlie broke out in a grin. "And I am glad that you asked me instead. I kind of grew fond of her as family."

"Also," Jackie continued, "I have one more thing to ask of you."

"This time it should be my kidney, right?" Charlie exclaimed. "We're twins after all!"

Jackie laughed and smacked him. "If I ever have a need for organs, you'll be the last person I'll ask."

"Hm, that's how much you want me alive," he pondered for a while and began whispering. "Then, did you get Caitlyn pregnant? Do you need me to, you know, I can keep a secret."

"Shut up!" Jesse yelled. "Can you listen to him for heaven's sake?"

Charlie shut up immediately and looked at their expressions. It was definitely not about pregnancy.

"I'm listening now," Charlie shrugged. "Go on."

"Well, I know that we've had our share of differences in the past and not recently have we tried to overcome them. But again, we were born at the same time, so which other person would be the best man in my life?" Jackie smiled, a little embarrassed. "If you accept, I want you to be my best man in my wedding. So will you, Charlie?"

"Only if you teach Cora how to propose to me like that," he laughed and tackled Jackie in a bear hug. Cassy squeaked laughing and got away from their grappling. "Yes, my man! I'll be your best man!" Charlie bellowed.

---

Cassy couldn't shake off the conversation with Charlie the other day. She did not want to be the reason why Cora would leave him again. Not when she knew it. She saw how happy Charlie looked when he was with her. She did not want to make him sad. She never intended to. Maybe if she were not there in his life? Would Cora be okay with it all and go on? Of course she would, she seems to be happy and she doesn't know that Cassy exists yet. Maybe she should keep it that way. Maybe she should not exist in Charlie's life. In that way, he would be happier and also have his own children.

Cassy got out of the house and walked out to the street with her little bag pack mounted on her back. It was night time, everyone in the house were drunk and fast asleep. She saw a woman walking with a child younger than Cassy, both laughing about something he just said.

Cassy did not have a family and she knew that as clear as the day. She also knew that she shouldn't take people's kindness for granted. She has seen many of the children being returned to the orphanage after being adopted. The world wasn't kind to them and she wouldn't take what Charlie gave her for granted. She was not going to overstay her welcome in the Baxter house.

It was quite a walk for a little girl across the city, but she finally reached her destination. The all too familiar place, her orphanage. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at the name plate of the building. She thought that she would never see it again when Charlie adopted her and took her home that day. But alas, like the other children, she had to return too.

But what would she say? Will they take her back on her own accord? They would definitely call Charlie and inform about her. She came from there to let him be happy, not to be taken in again. She was once without a family and she could live like that again.

She turned her back to the orphanage and kept walking. She remembered doing this when she was quite young. Not knowing where she was going and when would reach. All she knew was that her parents were dead and she needed to keep moving to look for food and survive. One day at a time.

She passed by a narrow lane filled with cardboard boxes. Those were once her home. They might not have given her any love, but a little bit of warmth was all it took to get by.

A few thugs leered at her as she passed by, and she quickened her pace and went through all kinds of lanes to lose them. She knew what they would do to her if she was caught. They would steal all her money, punch her until she was bleeding and bruised and throw her aside with a gag in her mouth. She had been lucky the last time when the police had found her tied up and sent her to an orphanage. But this time, she was not planning on getting beaten or sent to another orphanage. She was going to quietly disappear.

Soon, Cassy did not recognize the area she was in. Panicked, she looked around to find anything with a sense of familiarity. There was none. Trying to calm herself, she went to a corner and proceeded to get off her bag pack, take whatever was valuable and stuff it in a trash bag. She looked at the bag pack lying in the corner. That would be the last thing from Charlie that she would leave behind.

Goodbye, dad, she thought. Hope you'll continue being happy.