"When you put it that way it sounds so obvious." he mumbled, a hint of blush on his cheeks. Picani let out a quiet chuckle, before leaning back.

"Saying something can always make it seem simple. Doesn't mean it is, though."

"It's just," Virgil sighed. "It's like he was never there. Almost like people wouldn't care if it happened to somebody else." This sent a red light pinging in Picani's head.

"Of course they'd notice, Virgil!" he exclaimed softly. "A person is a person, regardless of what it may seem. So many things have changed, and sometimes people leave. Regardless of their reactions, people care. They care for different reasons, sure, but they care nonetheless." Picani watched the boy hunch in on himself slightly.

"You can't say that everyone would care. You don't know that." It came out as barely a whisper, but it registered loud and clear. You can't say that people would care if I left.

"No, we can't. But we do know that people would notice. And when people notice, people start to think. And if people take the time to think, even if it's just for a second - wouldn't that mean that they care enough to?"

Virgil stayed silent, his bangs falling over his eyes. Picani's eyes flitted to Virgil's arms, where the sleeves of his hoodie had ridden up a bit. He couldn't see anything but pale skin. It did little to lessen the worry, but if lessened it regardless.

"Virgil, you don't have to answer as always, but is there anything in particular that made you feel like that?" It took about a minute, but the boy spoke up eventually.

"Yeah. There probably is. But I don't really want to talk about it."
"And that's okay, kiddo." said Picani with a soft smile. "Do you want to talk about anything else instead?"

Virgil's head came up slightly and he looked at Picani with a glint in his eye.

"Any restrictions on that?" Picani grinned at the challenge.
"Nope."

Virgil squinted at him for a moment, before leaning back and raising his chin.

"Do you like pineapple on pizza?" Picani blinked at the sudden shift in tone, but leaned back with a raised eyebrow.

"Am I going to get ostracized for my answer?"
"Maybeee..."

More squinting.

"I don't like it."
"HoW dARe yoU-"

..................

Despite the fact that Virgil said he'd be back five minutes from now, Logan couldn't help but glance at the door every few seconds. Their room was rather dull without the other male, even with the golden ochre that poured in through the windows. Logan turned back to his phone with a quiet sigh, basking in the light that fell on his bed.

It was just so... quiet. Logan had never been one for noise, but the dorm felt off without the occasional groan of bedsprings and soft humming that filled the space when Virgil was relaxed.

He should be beating himself up for it, honestly. It was normal to notice an absence of noise, and maybe feel strange without it, but straight up obsessing over the fact that noises - nosies Virgil made specifically - weren't present was straight up foolish.

Gay up foolish. You're literally pining.

Shut up.

Logan groaned at the stupid pun, his phone slipping from his hands and his head replacing it. He tried to distract himself, but the one thought of Virgil spiraled into many many more, so much so that Logan considered taking a walk just to take his mind off the absence of his roommate.