Chapter 16: Christmas kisses

Sarah's Pov

Christmas. It's one word, has nine letters, and has the holy name Christ in it but for some odd reason it's so important.

Of course I like getting gifts who wouldn't? But haven't you noticed the stress and the hassle of it all?!

"Don't cut them like that!" My mother shouts.

This was the ninth time she yelled at me for cutting the Christmas dough wrong.

"Mom it looks fine" Liam says with annoyance.

"No it doesn't! Sarah just go take a seat in the living room with the rest of the family" she barks at me.

As long as I can get away from her perfectionists I'm happy. I walk skipping out of the kitchen and into the living room where I could be on my phone and finally do something I've been dying to do: read.

"Oh Sarah darling I've missed seeing your face!" I widen my eyes in horror when I hear the dreadful voice.

One person I wished and prayed not to see here. Auntie Darlene.

"Auntie Darlene" I say slowly.

"Your so precious" she says almost sarcastically while pinching my cheeks.

"Well I better go help my mom" I tell her trying my best to sound convincing.

"Hey Sarrie Bear can you come here please" I perk up when I hear my dad call my nickname.

"Sorry auntie Darlene we'll catch up later?" I ask her but before she could even respond I ran over to my dad.

I was excited. I hadn't seen my dad for almost over a month. He was on a business trip supposedly and it was the longest one yet. Having a dad as lawyer always seemed hard to me. I barely saw him at all along with my mother.

But, now that my mother seems to want to be a chief I can see her more often. Which isn't so bad ,but I just wish she would stop being so... What's the word? Annoying.

"Dad!" I shriek running into his arms.

"Hey Sarrie bear I've missed you" he says into my hair.

"I missed you too dad but mom-" he pulls back and lowers his head so he could look me in the eyes.

"Is it the dough?" He asks with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes dad it's the dough" I say with a sigh which makes him chuckle.

"Always has been something about the dough" he says shaking his head."Go have fun with the family I'm going to go talk to your mother"

I nod even though I absolutely hated my extended family members. My father then ventures off to the kitchen making me feel all alone. Sighing, I start pushing my family members out of the way considering it was beyond crowded in our house.

I walk and walk until I finally see an open seat near the entrance of the living room. I exhale in and out and take out my phone ready to read ,but of course that can't happen.

"Oh Sarah" my annoying sixteen year old step-cousin yells.

"Shut it Travis" I say while trying to read.

"Will you just come here?" He whines.

I roll my eyes and get up from my reading spot.

"What is it?!" I ask him with my hands dramatically in the air.

Ignoring me being dramatic he points up above our heads.

"Mistletoe" he smirks.

"Awe!" All my family members cheer and look at us.