Chapter 10 ✔ Coffee???

Comincia dall'inizio

"Please don't it's my treat for bumping into you."

Well, that's sweet of him to do but that also gave me my answer.

He asked me to coffee as an apology and nothing more.

1 minute had passed then 2 minutes had past and neither one of us had said a word.

Someone needed to break the ice so I had taken the opportunity to do so.

"So what's your name? I told you mine but you never said yours."

He strangely looked at me.

Ok, maybe I should have never asked him his name again

Maybe he is on the run from the cops or he killed someone.

My mind was playing all these different scenarios in my mind for reasons why he wouldn't tell me his name.

"You don't know who I am?" That was all he said.

Should I know who he is? He doesn't look like anyone that I knew from my past that's for sure.

I started to laugh, " Well if I knew who you were I would have never asked you silly." I responded to him.

"Let me guess you not from around here?"

Am I that obvious that I'm not from here?

" Actually no. I moved here about a week ago."

He then smiled at me.

I can tell now that he liked my answer.

"Well, then that explains why you didn't jump at me right away with my offer to go for a drink. The name's Stephen McKnight." He placed his hand out.

I put my hand out to shake his.

"Oh, that's a nice name to have. So I take it your popular around here?" I asked as I took a drink from my coffee.

"You can say that."

I could tell that he was the quiet type of guy not wanting to get into too much detail.

"So how are you liking New York?"

"It's amazing, the people are overwhelming but the City is just incredible. The stores and the art that you see around here are just wow."

I could have come up with a better word than wow but who am I kidding this place is just wow.

"What do you do for a living?" He asked as he took a drink from his coffee cup.

"Right now I'm not working, Yea I know normally you find the job first and then move but things had come up so I did the opposite."

I started to play with the spoon on the table taking my eyes away from his.

I knew what he was thinking, he was thinking I was crazy to move to New York City of all places without a job.

He probably even thinks I'm homeless.

"What did you do for work before you moved here?" Stephen said as he took the spoon from my hands and placed it far away from me on the table.

I looked up at him and he had a big smile on his face.

"I want all your attention on me." He said.

Those eyes of his I could get lost in them.

" I was a receptionist for a small Publishing Company back in Canada."

Yup that's what I am supposed to tell people if anyone would ask that question.

Brooklyn aka me worked for a small Publishing Company.

I'm just lucky I memorize the whole script that the FBI had given me.

"Really?, So you answered the phone and made appointments and jotted down memos for meetings. Are you fast at printing up letters on the computer?"

Ok well, this is kinda weird but hey I'm good at bullshiting people and telling them what they like to hear.

"Oh yea, My boss was so sad that I was leaving that he even offered to give me a pay raise but I told him that I needed to leave and find a new adventure in my life. He was a good man, I don't think I'll ever find a better boss than him. My office that I worked in had a big bay window and it was huge. Every day he would buy me lunch so I never had to worry about taking lunch to work. But to be honest what I truly loved the most was that he would give me 3 days off a month with pay."

Hahaha, eat that I thought to myself.

I should have been an actress.

"That's great to hear Brooklyn. You start tomorrow."

"What? Start what?" I raised my eyebrows and placed my lips in a thin line.

What was this man talking about????

Then he said the words that I never thought in a million years he would say.

"You're going to be my new assistant you start tomorrow."........

___________________________

What did you think?