8. Gratitude

Thursday, 12:20pm

"The final bridal fitting is on Saturday and in the night we've all been invited to have dinner with Samir's family."

"Ahuh."

"I'm wearing a long red dress with a square neckline. I'm telling you, it's the definition of chic. Or at least the sales lady at Bloomingdales said so."

"Right."

"And mom even made me get red stilettos to match."

"Of course."

"Jamila Ahmad al Hadi are you even listening?" Aliyah screams.

"Ow!' She pulls the phone away from her ear. "Sorry I'm at work Al."

"Then why did you call me?"

"Because our Bridezilla group chat was blowing up with 372 messages." Jamila whines. "It was giving me a headache."

"Oh boo hoo! I'm getting married in two weeks, what else can you expect?" Jamila rolls her eyes and closes the file she was skimming through. Yesterday she had one session with Amy and three consultations with potential clients. She was hopping from one room to the other excitedly and today is no different. The only difference is that today she's functioning on three hours of sleep.

Last night, Aliyah insisted that they watch a video on YouTube titled, 'The best places to spend your honeymoon.' Every two minutes they commented on the beach in The Maldives and admired its sandbanks. They shared Rice Krispies, mini donuts and the remaining cake Jamila made until eventually Aliyah fell asleep.

Jamila woke up to a message from her cousin saying that she had to leave right after Fajr because 'bridal duties' arose.

Pfft. I can't imagine that.

Jamila is slightly intimidated by all the wedding prep. She thought she'd be more comfortable with it as time went by but now it just seems like things are moving too fast. Okay relax, Aliyah is getting married. Not you. No need to get all woozy. Take a chill pill. But seriously though, these group chats need to have some kind of limit. Mom is the one bossing everyone around. I just don't get it.

"Yeah yeah, I've just got a lot of stuff to do."

"I can see that but you're coming for dinner this weekend right?"

"When is it again?"

"Saturday, the day after tomorrow." Tomorrow. Oh God. Tomorrow. Her thoughts are clotted to one side of her brain while the other attempts to reply to her cousin. This is impossible.

She's tried to push tomorrow out of her mind for as long as possible but her mother reminded her again this morning.

"Don't forget Habibti and don't say you don't have time. Make time! Abdullah! Come and pick up your laundry basket!"

"I'll be there, In Sha Allah." (If Allah Wills). She snaps out of her thoughts.

"Great. Now I gotta go, my new beau awaits me." Aliyah sounds relieved.

"What?"

"My new book Jam. God keep up." Jamila chuckles. Such a drama queen. I wouldn't have it any other way though. They hang up and Jamila returns to her file. She reads through her notes and jots down;

Research treatment plan before next session with Amy on Monday.

She then puts aside all her books and glances at the wall clock. It's time for Dhuhr (the noon prayer). Jamila saunters over to the corner of the room and pulls out a clean mat to pray on. The floor is carpeted and vacuumed constantly but her mind is at ease now that there's additional... Protection?