Chapter 7: Apologies Don't Fix Everything

As soon as I woke up the day after the dinner I played ALfHeim Online. I thought to myself I ought to join a new guild. If I'd stayed depressed forever, I wouldn't be able to play in my world. I lay flat on my bed and yelled the magic words. "LINK, START!"

        I appeared in the market, where I'd been kicked out off my family-- I mean guild. I started glowing and then appeared in Akira form in the market. Where my life ended-- I mean got kicked out. I swiped my left finger down to access the menu. I scrolled through the settings and selected the Find a Guild button. 

        Subarashī kodomo-tachi

        Kuruna Sentoki

        Several different guilds were showing, but they were all at such low levels. I continued to scroll through the options. A notification appeared in the bottom corner of my screen "KLEIN is teleporting to you" oh great. More like "the person who got you into this mess is coming to say sorry and try to fix everything that can't be fixed!  

        "Akira," Klein started. "Akira, I am SO very--" something struck me, the feeling similar to when I jammed Pocky up Jun's nose. Rage filled my entire body, and without thinking, I punched him in the mouth! "MRFF!" was the noise that came out of his mouth. 

        "Oh don't act like such a baby, this is a VIRTUAL WORLD!!" I yelled. Klein shrugged. "You're the reason I got caught up in this mess! You-- you know what this feels like?" I started to choke up. "It feels like I've been disowned by my entire family! It feels like I'm hated by everyone I know now, and it feels like I am DYING INSIDE!" I was crying now. Klein looked deep into my eyes with sympathy.

        He got up from the ground and grasped me in a hug. "Stop! S-stop it!" I commanded. Klein hushed me and pulled me in tighter as I tried to run away. I don't quite know if I loved it, or hated it. It was somewhere in between. 

        After I calmed down I started to cry again. You're such a baby! I thought to myself. Klein tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and leaned in for a kiss. I might have followed through, but then I was smacked with a burst of reality. I pushed Klein away from me. He's a player! I warned myself. Don't get too excited! 

        "Klein-kun," I said.

        "Akira-san." he replied awkwardly after being turned down.

        "Klein, I can't kiss you. You're a great guy, but not the right one for me..." 

        "Akira-san! Let me make it up to you!" he started.

        "There is nothing to make up, Klein. There is nothing to fix! You're not right for me and I'm not right for you end of story!" I yelled frustrated. 

        "I'm confused--"

        "Of course you're confused! You've never had a girl turn you down before!" I snapped. Klein looked desperate for something to say to change my mind. "Let alone an ugly one..." I murmured. Klein raised an eyebrow.

        "Akira-san! Don't say that about yourself, you're beautiful." He said admiring me. 

        "Pfft. Sure my virtual body is. In real life, I'm about 6 inches shorter and 20 pounds heavier. My name isn't even Akira." I said insecurely. Klein stepped forward.

        "Well, what is your name?" he asked.

        "Emiko Kayasha," I replied. 

        "Emiko... Emiko, Emiko, Emiko... you know what it means?" Now it felt like he was stalling.

        "Child," I replied. "It fits me perfectly. Just another child." 

        "Emiko...hmm..." Yep. Officially stalling. "You left out beauty, blessing, favor, and prosperous." he said with a grin. "You want to know my name? Tsuboi Ryōtarō. It means I like things my own way." he rolled his eyes.

        "Are your parents psychic?" I asked and then got playfully nudged on the shoulder. I looked at the first true friend I'd had in years. "You wanna hang out tomorrow? Like we could go to a movie--or--well I don't mean like a DATE-- or anything like that just like-- I don't know--" my awful stuttering was interrupted.

        "I'd love to." Klein responded. I beamed. "I live in Tokyo." he said.

        My heart sank. "I live in Kanagawa..." I choked. "My mother would never let me go with you."

        "That's okay! It's only like an hour drive." we exchanged addresses and then figured out a plan. "...so I'll pick you up at 10:00 p.m. on Friday night for the movie, okay?" he confirmed.

        "Okay." I replied. That day was Tuesday. 

        "Well, I've gotta go. I have a pizza coming." he informed. I laughed and waved. When he started to glow and then disappear, I was left with a tingly feeling, like the kind you get when--crap.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry this chapter is so short. I was thinking about putting a huge scene in here but I thought it deserved it's own chapter.